Talk About Marriage banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
8,662 Posts
Exactly! Then before he can utter another word, change the subject to sports. Even if you hate sports, just toss out "How about those Rams (your team, of course)". Glance at the sports page before leaving the house.Even the most die-hard, know-it-all richard will feel compelled to talk about sports. Unless, he's a weenie.
So, how 'bout them Chargers?

• Haha
Reactions: Blondilocks

·
Registered
721 Posts
In regards to this situation, it pretty much comes down to the matriarch or patriarch of the family laying down the standard.
I went through a version of this with Mrs. Tdbo's family.
I am somewhat conservative. Her family lean strongly to the left.
We would attend family functions. We would sit at the table FIL wants to engage in political discussions.
I became the target, because at that time I was kind of the odd man out.
I made every effort to change the subject respectfully. He continued until it became somewhat of a beatdown towards me and my views.
I don't recoil from a beatdown. While respectful, I responded with verifiable facts and stated such.
FIL didn't like it and became somewhat agitated. While not ruining events, it created an air of tension.
Her dad, while a great guy, has a seventh grade education and has a somewhat naive view of the world. For instance, he has no problem with paying $3.00 a gallon for fuel. (WTH!)
Mrs Tdbo became pissed because of the s**t I was taking, and had a sidebar with her mother that resulted in an argument between the two of them. Finally MIL laid down the law that there would be no more political discussions at family events.
There were no issues from me, however MIL had to regularly adjust FIL's attitude for a while until he finally stood down.
With some other changes in the family (her older sister married a person with similar political views as mine,) she has adopted our views. My wife has as well. So that leaves her brother and his partner (who are really further left) and my in laws as those who are representatives of the left. So things have become somewhat of an impasse.
Therefore, we all now have our positions, and everyone realizes that there is really no probability that views will change much. So family events became focused on family events.
Sometimes FIL will want to have one on one discussions of a political nature with me. He realizes after almost 30 years, that I am not going to change. However, at times he seems to be a work in progress, admitting that he agrees with me on some things. I guess at 77, he is kind of a work in progress.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I just went through this at Christmas with my wife. We traveled four states to spend what will probably be her last Christmas with her grandmother who has cancer. Her side of the family are good people but extreme differences in political views.

Everyone in the room knew this will probably be the last time seeing her alive on Christmas. Everyone was getting along, laughing, and sharing memories, jokes, stories, etc. There was no political discussion.

My my wifes sister in law is a flaming liberal who is in her 30s and still acts like the freshman college student on campus who is protesting everything and everyone from how bad the police are and how certain groups are mistreated blah blah blah.

Eventually her efforts paid off and she was able to fan the flames of political argument. I could see tears running down my wifes cheek and her grandmother sat tired and weak from chemo treatments.

I quickly stood up and just said lets all just take a moment to give thanks to everyone making the effort to travel and be together for Christmas.... That stopped the arguing and I saw her grandmother smile.

I told the sister in law in the kitchen to grow up and have some respect.... As she threw a hissy fit, I just walked out without saying a word. My wife said thank you for that as she broke down again

Her grandmother has quit treatment as she is 91 and she cannot handle the chemo and radiation. She has been given 2-6 months. She has stage 4 lymphoma.

·
Premium Member
3,805 Posts
many of the family members will often validate him and agree with his views (even if there is no credibility for it).
They're probably only doing that in the hopes that it will shut him up, lol.

I think your only options are to either not engage ie change the subject, go along to get along OR limit contact.

·
Premium Member
3,464 Posts
So much of these types of conflicts are ego-driven... a self-serving sense of importance that breathes "my way or the highway" mentality that turns into a need to beat down anything that threatens it. When we make people feel they have little worth in their views why are we surprised in the way we protectively react?

I feel that if you take the time to understand the process happening around you, you may find yourself empowered to not react to how other's need for control affects you. All the perceived personal attacks are really not so personal unless you have chosen to make them your identity.

You are not the same person you were yesterday nor will you be the same tomorrow... your views on life will change and change again so while you find others in disagreement with you a simple statement like "I see things differently" will hold your feelings of being disparaged to a minimum and allow you the grace of holding on loosely to the place where grasping of some ideals too tightly as so many political ideals are centered on controls, not freedoms, which is where politics often becomes confused.

You can believe you are right and I am wrong (this post is a great opportunity in that practice), but recognize that if respect is not present at least on one side (yours), you will see yourself losing every time. You can take the leadership role by showing them that your buttons are not what they think they see, that you control the output, not them, and that you can set your own expectations, not them.

I lived for 30 years with someone who thought they held the outputs of my buttons, much to their distress when in the last 10 years they lost that control more and more until it was no longer worth their while to try to push them anymore.

Don't wait as long as I did to see clearly the dynamics around you, understand with love for yourself and also compassion for others who cling to ideas that forget to shrink and grow with change and begin to see things without the shortcomings pf permanence.

You've got this.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts