Talk About Marriage banner

1 - 20 of 420 Posts

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I believe there was a thread on British TV series some time ago, but I can't seem to find it. So I'm starting a new one.

American TV in the recent past is really letting me down. Bad writing, preposterous plots, etc. Don't get me going on "so called" sit-coms.

These are the British series I have watched so far:

Foyle's War - Only half through, but damn good.
Happy Valley - Just wow, excellent series.
River - Real good.
Broad Church - Just excellent.
Black Mirror - On the dark side, but good.
Doc Martin - To funny!

Can anyone recommend other British (or any country as long it is in English) to watch?

Thanks!

·
Registered
981 Posts
Hello all,

I believe there was a thread on British TV series some time ago, but I can't seem to find it. So I'm starting a new one.

American TV in the recent past is really letting me down. Bad writing, preposterous plots, etc. Don't get me going on "so called" sit-coms.

River - Real good.
Doc Martin - To funny!

Can anyone recommend other British (or any country as long it is in English) to watch?

Thanks!
Try Morse, Lewis oand/r Endeavour.

·
Registered
4,374 Posts
I have watched and enjoyed these:

Call the Midwife
Downton Abbey
Last Tango in Halifax
Upstairs/Downstairs (recent version)

Crime mysteries:
Endeavor
Inspector Lewis
Poirot
Miss Marple
Grantchester
Father Brown
The Tunnel

Australian: Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have watched and enjoyed these:

Call the Midwife
Downton Abbey
Last Tango in Halifax
Upstairs/Downstairs (recent version)

Crime mysteries:
Endeavor
Inspector Lewis
Poirot
Miss Marple
Grantchester
Father Brown
The Tunnel

Australian: Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries
Wow thanks! Watched a few of Last Tango in Halifax, seemed to much like an American soap opera, but will try again.

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
Fortitude is a great show - a bit creepy but suspenseful. Group of folks who work on a small island in the Arctic sea. There's a murder and subsequent investigation.

Just curious- what American shows did you watch that you were disappointed in. In my opnion, American television has never been better, you just have to look beyond the broadcast networks.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
13,718 Posts
Happy Valley, just started season 2, and Call the Midwife are great.

Just curious- what American shows did you watch that you were disappointed in. In my opnion, American television has never been better, you just have to look beyond the broadcast networks.
Totally agree, I can't keep up with the good stuff coming from Amazon and Netflix. Content fragmentation sucks, but the actual content and variety is great, once you find it.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fortitude is a great show - a bit creepy but suspenseful. Group of folks who work on a small island in the Arctic sea. There's a murder and subsequent investigation.

Posted via Mobile Device
Hi PhillyGuy13,

I "cut the cable" about 3 years ago. Got tired of $100+ a month for 100's of channels I never watch. So now it's over the air or Netflix.
I used to love shows like NCIS, Blue Bloods and the like. Now, over the past year, something is just different. Just don't enjoy them anymore.

Can't comment on cable shows obviously.

·
Registered
6,938 Posts
Strike Back- Was on for 5 years... great series... was interesting to see Andrew Lincoln in S1 as someone other than Rick Grimes and using his real voice.

All the Prime Suspect series... with Helen Mirren... great actress

Wire In The Blood... with Robson Green

My all time favorite was The Sweeney... John Thaw was one of my favorite actors.

Not an English show but Crossing Lines was a good series with Donald Sutherland.

I use Kodi-TvAddons

·
Super Moderator
28,760 Posts
Hello all,

River - Real good.
Doc Martin - To funny!

Thanks!
Mrs Brown's Boys, which is an Irish programme, but because RTE got frightened, is being made by the BBC.

Also, Father Ted, another Irish programme made by Britain's Channel 4.

The IT Crowd, about an IT department.

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
I don't blame you on the cord cutting. If not for the kids I'd have done it myself. Still may if I sit down and look at it.

A ton of good stuff on Netflix. Happy valley season 1 was great - season 2 on my to-do list.

Periodically Amazon runs specials for Prime. We signed up for $80 or so for the year in January. Free shipping on all orders plus their streaming service for a year. Between Netflix and Amazon I'd say 95% of the good cable shows end up on one or the other. Even HBO and showtime shows, though I don't think game of thrones is available outside HBO services.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
Life On Mars – BBC One
★★★★★
(Don't watch the follow on Ashes to Ashes series since it sucked!)

Wire in the Blood – ITV
★★★★

The Game – BBC Two
★★★★

Being Human – BBC Three
★★★★ for seasons 1-4 then ★★★ for season 5

Misfits – Channel 4
★★★★ for seasons 1-3 then ★★ for seasons 4-5

The Armstrong & Miller Show – BBC One
★★★½

Sherlock – BBC One
★★★½