Talk About Marriage banner
101 - 120 of 143 Posts

· Registered
8,098 Posts
Fat-shaming is wrong, obviously. People should be free to do what thy want and be proud of their body, regardless of shape and colour. A couple of negative aspects: it can encourage obesity and, as we all know, obesity costs the health systems millions every year, together with alcohol and smoking.

· Premium Member
24,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 ·
Of course. That's why visiting your doctor and getting their opinion as a licensed and certified medical professional is critical for all, thin and fat. Too many skinny fat people walking around thinking they are "healthy" because they are within "healthy" weight parameters.
The issue is even though she herself as an individual could be fine, her message could be harmful to those who are simply looking for validation regardless of their actual health.

It's like a smoker who somehow has steel lungs saying to folks to smoke as it won't kill you etc

Personally I don't care as long as I'm not required to celebrate her 😋

· Premium Member
24,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #103 ·
Fat-shaming is wrong, obviously. People should be free to do what thy want and be proud of their body, regardless of shape and colour. A couple of negative aspects: it can encourage obesity and, as we all know, obesity costs the health systems millions every year, together with alcohol and smoking.
I reckon all men at least need to be able to take it and do something about it. You never know when physical fitness becomes essential when protecting yourself and loved ones.

At least be able to hold your own for 60 seconds.

· Registered
8,098 Posts
The issue is even though she herself as an individual could be fine, her message could be harmful to those who are simply looking for validation regardless of their actual health.

It's like a smoker who somehow has steel lungs saying to folks to smoke as it won't kill you etc

Personally I don't care as long as I'm not required to celebrate her 😋
As I said, I don't dislike the message, but the message can have a negative impact too It's a difficult one. But I would prefer a fat happy friend to a skinny unhappy one.

· Premium Member
5,209 Posts
Of course. That's why visiting your doctor and getting their opinion as a licensed and certified medical professional is critical for all, thin and fat. Too many skinny fat people walking around thinking they are "healthy" because they are within "healthy" weight parameters.
She may very well be healthy at this point in time, other than being an unhealthy weight. The issue is statistically speaking being obese most definitely increases your risk for many diseases and orthopedic issues. Yet she is trying to deny that. She was saying things like obese people survive heart attacks at a higher rate than people of a healthy weight. While technically true, she conveniently leaving out that obese people with no other current health issues are 28% more likely to have a heart attack in the first place and if they have just 1 other risk factor that jumps to over 2.5x the risk of a heart attack. She was also fishing for studies that prove she is right, while ignoring the ones that prove she is wrong. She has a very public image and people are listening and believing her. That is where the problem is. Just like smoking, there are people that smoke 2 packs a day for 50 years and don't get lung cancer. That doesn't change the fact it is unhealthy and increases your risk for a multitude health issues. We would never overlook someone trying to say being a smoker isn't unhealthy, let alone a healthy lifestyle choice.

· Premium Member
7,047 Posts
She may very well be healthy at this point in time, other than being an unhealthy weight. The issue is statistically speaking being obese most definitely increases your risk for many diseases and orthopedic issues. Yet she is trying to deny that. She was saying things like obese people survive heart attacks at a higher rate than people of a healthy weight. While technically true, she conveniently leaving out that obese people with no other current health issues are 28% more likely to have a heart attack in the first place and if they have just 1 other risk factor that jumps to over 2.5x the risk of a heart attack. She was also fishing for studies that prove she is right, while ignoring the ones that prove she is wrong. She has a very public image and people are listening and believing her. That is where the problem is. Just like smoking, there are people that smoke 2 packs a day for 50 years and don't get lung cancer. That doesn't change the fact it is unhealthy and increases your risk for a multitude health issues. We would never overlook someone trying to say being a smoker isn't unhealthy, let alone a healthy lifestyle choice.
So what do you suggest we do with these people? Cancel them? Ask them to stop sharing their experiences as a happy, fat person (only depressed, suicidal fat people are allowed)?

· Premium Member
5,209 Posts
So what do you suggest we do with these people? Cancel them? Ask them to stop sharing their experiences as a happy, fat person (only depressed, suicidal fat people are allowed)?
I don't have a great answer. It is great they are happy and no issue for letting everyone know they are happy people, but I do have a problem with promoting their lifestyle choice as healthy for them and others. And they shouldn't complain if someone calls them on it.

· Registered
3,463 Posts
UK is an interesting example. The last time I was there I remember seeing a fair few paunchy people, more than I’d expect.

I folks I know when they go to the NHS get harassed if they’re overweight.

Their government controls portion sizes from fast food, and overall they have lower portion sizes.

Somehow they’re getting fatter anyway.

I’m wondering if the magic ingredient is processed food but then I think back to when I was a kid we had processed food all the time like bologna, TV dinners, etc….

So then maybe it was the “super size” phenomena?

There is a teriyaki chicken place next to my gym. One plate from them ($16) three fighters will eat that one plate. I ordered it on DoorDash one time and I think my wife and I finished about 2/3 of one plate. It’s ridiculous.

Pretty sure it has been studied from the health perspective because it’s extremely expensive in terms of health care.
In the USA, I think it is a combination of portion size of meals (most restaurant portions are huge, and I get a doggie bag after a meal as does my wife) and lack of exercise. People drive 5 blocks rather than walk that distance. Most jobs are automated so little manual exercise is required. Those jobs that aren't are often high stress, where stress eating occurs.

In other countries like Spain, where many of the meals included both rice and french fries, I think it is absurd amounts of carbohydrates.

· Premium Member
7,047 Posts
I don't have a great answer. It is great they are happy and no issue for letting everyone know they are happy people, but I do have a problem with promoting their lifestyle choice as healthy for them and others. And they shouldn't complain if someone calls them on it.
Believe you and me, overweight people are being called out and criticized every single day. That's why the body positivity movement started in the first place.

· Premium Member
24,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #112 ·
Same thing we do if smokers want to convince folks that it's good for you, call out their bullcrap. They can do whatever they want.

I used to be a smoker but I didn't go around telling people it's good for me. I just didn't give a F until I had enough of my own reasons to quit.

· Premium Member
24,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #113 ·
In the USA, I think it is a combination of portion size of meals (most restaurant portions are huge, and I get a doggie bag after a meal as does my wife) and lack of exercise. People drive 5 blocks rather than walk that distance. Most jobs are automated so little manual exercise is required. Those jobs that aren't are often high stress, where stress eating occurs.

In other countries like Spain, where many of the meals included both rice and french fries, I think it is absurd amounts of carbohydrates.
It takes me 10 minutes to drive out and park at the shops, 5 minutes to walk. I drive instead not just because I'm lazy but to avoid everyone from A to B 😑

· Premium Member
7,047 Posts
want to convince folks that it's good for you

Why is this woman sharing her happy life on social media equate to her convincing others to be fat like her? She's not telling people to eat 12 cheeseburgers and french fries. She's just showing people that a fat person doesn't have to be miserable. Honestly your comments sound like fat people are only allowed to live miserable lives and only come out under the cover of night.

· Premium Member
24,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #115 ·
Why is this woman sharing her happy life on social media equate to her convincing others to be fat like her? She's not telling people to eat 12 cheeseburgers and french fries. She's just showing people to that a fat person doesn't have to be miserable..
She may not be telling people to be fat, but she's giving dubious medical advice to her large following don't know the numbers but I assume large enough to end up on Dr Phil.

I dont think it's her fault if someone with actual health issues follows her advice and dies, lemmings are lemmings but some folks would blame her.

· Premium Member
5,209 Posts
Why is this woman sharing her happy life on social media equate to her convincing others to be fat like her? She's not telling people to eat 12 cheeseburgers and french fries. She's just showing people that a fat person doesn't have to be miserable. Honestly your comments sound like fat people are only allowed to live miserable lives and only come out under the cover of night.
She is promoting it, not just showing her happy life. I've seen a TikTok she did after being on the Dr Phil show. She said she "schooled him" and he was wrong about it being unhealthy to be obese. She also said the doctor that was on the show was siting "fringe" research that showed being obese was unhealthy. That is nonsense. In my view she is promoting and spreading disinformation.

· Premium Member
24,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #117 ·
Honestly your comments sound like fat people are only allowed to live miserable lives and only come out under the cover of night.
They can live whatever life they wanna live I don't exactly care lol nor do most people. The issue folks are having is the pseudomedical propaganda as well as the dictation of speech.

I dont care about the former as I don't give two fks about most people but I do care more about the latter as I run my mouth 😅

· Premium Member
24,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #118 ·
She is promoting it, not just showing her happy life. I've seen a TikTok she did after being on the Dr Phil show. She said she "schooled him" and he was wrong about it being unhealthy to be obese. She also said the doctor that was on the show was siting "fringe" research that showed being obese was unhealthy. That is nonsense. In my view she is promoting and spreading disinformation.
Of course, not to mention she's an influencer now after all with a message. She has to keep going even if the doctors give her a different diagnosis.

She will be cancelled and called ex-fat traitor by the mob if she didn't.

· Premium Member
5,209 Posts
BTW, the ObesetoBeast guy that was on there did a youtube video stating that Dr Phil kind of set everyone up. The woman and husband went in expecting to just share her story only to be confronted by the rest of the panel. Even the ObesetoBeast guy was surprised and not happy that he was being used as a tool to oppose her views.

· Premium Member
24,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #120 ·
BTW, the ObesetoBeast guy that was on there did a youtube video stating that Dr Phil kind of set everyone up. The woman and husband went in expecting to just share her story only to be confronted by the rest of the panel. Even the ObesetoBeast guy was surprised and not happy that he was being used as a tool to oppose her views.
Thought that was to be expected from Dr Phil, did they expect to just use him as a platform to increase their fame? Everything has a catch 😅

101 - 120 of 143 Posts