Talk About Marriage banner
81 - 100 of 143 Posts

· Premium Member
7,047 Posts
Umm, I've seen obese parents raise obese children very often.

It's bad eating and exercise habits being passed down.

I'm related to quite a few of them.

I don't have a problem telling young people that smoking is bad and I don't have a problem telling them the same about diet and exercise.

Both can kill you young and obesity is more likely to do you in of the two.
There is nothing wrong with education young people to take care of their health. The problem I have is that many make judgements about other's health based on the shell.

Like I said, I'm overweight (typical Middle aged American woman). I'm sure there are people who think I am "unhealthy" because I'm not a "healthy" weight. I don't care to hear their opinions about me because the truth is that I'm physically healthy (no meds, blood work is good, taking my vitamins and supplements, seeing my Dr annually, yada yada), and better yet, I've accepted myself exactly where I'm at today and haven't been happier.

The delusional woman in the video is promoting extremely unhealthy behavior as healthy.
What exactly is she delusionally promoting? She's not encouraging people to be fat. She's telling people to love themselves regardless of their weight. Love starts with acceptance.

· Premium Member
7,047 Posts
I know women do it but as your example demonstrates it's not well received.

I've observed many tines where men will do this and the target man doesn't seen to care.

Guy 1: you've put on weight
Guy 2; yeah, I'm a fat ass....need to stop eating so much.

I've seen this as well. I think men don't have the same societal pressure to look a certain way.

My ex and I used to work out with a group of men and women who were 10-15 years younger than us they were all crossfitters types, physically fit. One day this older regular at the gym told one of the women that she'd look great if she was 20 lbs lighter, i don't think he meant it cruelly, just a thing guys say to each other. She was devastated and he couldn't understand why. He figured she's one of the guys.

· Super Moderator
11,745 Posts
I've seen this as well. I think men don't have the same societal pressure to look a certain way.

My ex and I used to work out with a group of men and women who were 10-15 years younger than us they were all crossfitters types, physically fit. One day this older regular at the gym told one of the women that she'd look great if she was 20 lbs lighter, i don't think he meant it cruelly, just a thing guys say to each other. She was devastated and he couldn't understand why. He figured she's one of the guys.
I did lose about 20 lbs almost 6 years ago after I had the flu and decided to keep the weight off because it was better for me. I'm prone to blood pressure thanks to my mom.

I happened to run into a runner friend of mine at a race....she is a trainer. She gushed about how good my body looked and said that she didn't mean to be rude, she just noticed these things as a trainer. I wasn't the least bit offended because she was right....I did look better. But it's easier to take when you're on the thin end 😀

· Premium Member
24,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
What exactly is she delusionally promoting? She's not encouraging people to be fat. She's telling people to love themselves regardless of their weight. Love starts with acceptance.
Shes going against the science when it comes to the health risks etc saying she's healthy fat and all that. That's why.

· Registered
960 Posts
How do you know she's not? Are you her physician? Do you know her medical history? You're basing your opinion on what she looks like and not actual science.
I'd be going with the weight alone. She might perceive as fine, but feeling fine as opposed to being fine is whereva lot of health problems take root. It might be 15 years to go from feeling fine to not being fine.

· Premium Member
7,047 Posts
There is a difference between foreseeable or creating the conditions for "such is life" and having "such is life happen", despite taking reasonable precautions.
Of course. That's why visiting your doctor and getting their opinion as a licensed and certified medical professional is critical for all, thin and fat. Too many skinny fat people walking around thinking they are "healthy" because they are within "healthy" weight parameters.

· Registered
960 Posts
Of course. That's why visiting your doctor and getting their opinion as a licensed and certified medical professional is critical for all, thin and fat. Too many skinny fat people walking around thinking they are "healthy" because they are within "healthy" weight parameters.
You are right on that. You can't always tell on looks alone.

· Premium Member
11,285 Posts
I happened to run into a runner friend of mine at a race....she is a trainer. She gushed about how good my body looked and said that she didn't mean to be rude, she just noticed these things as a trainer. I wasn't the least bit offended because she was right....I did look better. But it's easier to take when you're on the thin end
One lady in my gym I saw her at an event in September and I have been out until last week. She probably lost 20 pounds (across the holiday). In my opinion she looked better before the weight loss but for her to change that much in a short time she’s running 3500 cal/week defecit or so, for someone already not big. That’s a serious amount of effort.

So I appreciate the hustle to do it because that’s not easy at all, but with women it’s very touchy.

If she was a guy I’d be like, “What happened, you shrank away to nothing?” Then make jokes about a stiff breeze blowing him down the street.

Instead I keep my dumb trap shut.

· Premium Member
11,285 Posts
My point was that while obese is not healthy, it is far from uncommon, which means there are likely deep social reasons for it. Also if over half the population of a country is overweight, then shaming the majority of the population is hardly going to be productive.
UK is an interesting example. The last time I was there I remember seeing a fair few paunchy people, more than I’d expect.

I folks I know when they go to the NHS get harassed if they’re overweight.

Their government controls portion sizes from fast food, and overall they have lower portion sizes.

Somehow they’re getting fatter anyway.

I’m wondering if the magic ingredient is processed food but then I think back to when I was a kid we had processed food all the time like bologna, TV dinners, etc….

So then maybe it was the “super size” phenomena?

There is a teriyaki chicken place next to my gym. One plate from them ($16) three fighters will eat that one plate. I ordered it on DoorDash one time and I think my wife and I finished about 2/3 of one plate. It’s ridiculous.

Pretty sure it has been studied from the health perspective because it’s extremely expensive in terms of health care.

· Registered
3,635 Posts
UK is an interesting example. The last time I was there I remember seeing a fair few paunchy people, more than I’d expect.

I folks I know when they go to the NHS get harassed if they’re overweight.

Their government controls portion sizes from fast food, and overall they have lower portion sizes.

Somehow they’re getting fatter anyway.
My opinion (for which I have no real evidence) is that it's caused by constant grazing. People eat all the time. We used to eat three times a day.

· Premium Member
11,285 Posts
My opinion (for which I have no real evidence) is that it's caused by constant grazing. People eat all the time. We used to eat three times a day.
Could be. I only eat twice a day, my wife switched to my schedule and she probably lost around 5 pounds or something like that and has kept it off for more than a year with that as the only change.

· Premium Member
24,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #98 ·
I can put on and lose depending on number of meals.

1 meal a day = lose weight
2 meals a day = maintaining weight
3 meals a day = weight gain

I just don't understand the issue 😕 but I just assume it's harder for other people 🤷

When I was younger I had to eat 4-5 meals to gain though, fast metabolism but it's slowed now.

· Premium Member
11,285 Posts
When I was younger I had to eat 4-5 meals to gain though, fast metabolism but it's slowed now.
Wait till you hit 50!

The good news is, I can’t physically handle what I used to be able to consume. The bad news is, the reduced activity is too reduced.

I bought beer for 3 guys to watch the game on Sunday and I walked out of the store with a 12 pack. Mrs goes, “that’s it?” So I went in and bought another six pack. I think we drank maybe 6. So it’s not just me it’s my buddies too we’re all a shadow of ourselves.

· Premium Member
24,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #100 ·
Wait till you hit 50!

The good news is, I can’t physically handle what I used to be able to consume. The bad news is, the reduced activity is too reduced.

I bought beer for 3 guys to watch the game on Sunday and I walked out of the store with a 12 pack. Mrs goes, “that’s it?” So I went in and bought another six pack. I think we drank maybe 6. So it’s not just me it’s my buddies too we’re all a shadow of ourselves.
Sounds like good news!

I prefer not to consume, especially when alone, it's always a distraction of whatever else I have on my mind or todo list during the day and it even takes hours with company 🙄

I would welcome an even slower metabolism in my 50s.

81 - 100 of 143 Posts