Talk About Marriage banner
1 - 20 of 143 Posts

· Premium Member
11,374 Posts
Didn’t watch it but I agree with Milo before he got cancelled and put those crazy teeth implants in.

Fat shaming is helpful, at least for me. I have some extra weight right now and I walked back into the gym finally and they’re like “damn son you eat too much over Xmas?” Anyway if people trash talk your weight they’re keeping you accountable.

My doctor is the same way. Weight looks bad and she’s not like, “healthy at any size” more like “WTF why are you fatter, stop it”.

That actually helps people. Pretending it’s ok, not helpful and actually harmful.

· Registered
6,003 Posts
I don't think we should ''shame'' people for how they look, but...we shouldn't celebrate obesity and unhealthy lifestyles. Body positivity (the “movement”) doesn't help anyone, it just keeps people from doing the things they need to do, to live healthier lives because the culture is telling them that it's everyone else's problem, that everyone else needs to change how we see obesity. I think that's just enabling people to stay unhealthy, to be honest.

· Registered
4,150 Posts

Thoughts?
A normal weight person who is a heavy drinker and smoker has a slightly longer life expectancy than an obese person. Chronic inflammation causes most chronic health problems, fat as an organ (as the lady in the video points out) is directly responsible for a significant amount of inflammation in the body. I'm all for people feeling good about themselves, but there are too many in the body positivity movement that seem to be trying to convince themselves and everyone else that you can be obese and healthy at the same time which is simply wrong. My biggest problem is pushing the idea that one can be obese and healthy is hurting people in the long run.

· Premium Member
24,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I got fat during my last relationship and started looking like a teletubby, for some reason ex liked the dad bod though so ok. I never liked it but since we both got chubby the cuddles were really comfy 🤗 Neither of us got to the point of obesity or anything close though.

After we broke up my lifestyle went through a dramatic change and I lost 20 kg or what? 45 pounds. Of course people commented too, but this time they were more serious because I was very unhealthy. I got skinny shamed into eating again and hitting the gym. So in the end did all the shaming help? I definitely got sexier 😊

My body is even impressing me with gains and definition I didn't think I could still have at 37. I doubt I would be feeling this good if I let myself go and followed all this body positivity stuff. Just take in the feedback I reckon.

Though really I get it too fat people don't need to be told they are fat so I dunno. Honestly I don't bother, I don't give a sh-t enough to comment on people's bodies lol have a heart attack for all I care 😅 the people who do care are the ones who "shame"

· Registered
984 Posts
Also what you guys think of 5:30, the guy was saying how he got attacked for wanting to lose weight like folks calling him a traitor and all 🤣

You are losing weight! Traitor!!! Lol
There are two things that are going on here with that.
1. His fat friends don't want him to get better, because they will take his progress as a judgement against themselves for not wanting to take the time to get better.
2. Those who have it better than him don't want him to improve, because he then becomes a competitor to them and they may not be able to measure up when the time comes.

· Registered
110 Posts

Thoughts?

Dr. Phill and other programs that encourage people to exploit themselves for profit will always be "cancelled" in my book.

His program and others are just versions of a modern day "freak carnival" show.

People pay to come and watch others be shamed, exploited, and embarrassed.

To play Judge and juror, and to feel better about their own lives..

To join the mass in shaming and making themselves feel like they finally "belong" to something.

Dr. Phill, Oprah, Steve Wilkos, Jerry Springer, Sally Jesse, Maury, Jenny Jones, Rickki Lake, most courtroom, "reality", talk, and radio programming are designed for this.

Survive and thrive off of this.

Public Shaming, embarrassment, and exploitation. .

Sadly, this has always been a "thing" since the beginning or close to it.

I think it's just primal instincts to "disarm" the "weaker" , and those that don't fit into societal expectations and standards by any means necessary to feed the ego, advance to the "top", to gain alliances, to gain followers, to gain soldiers, etc...

He shames every guess, gives out fake advice concern, and refers everyone to a "treatment" center that has many abuse allegations.

People are allowed to live however they want to, and in whatever body they want to.

There are consequences to life and in it.

We're all at high risks for everything.

Everything will die in it's time. .
Nothing you can do to prevent death or live longer.
When it's time for you to go, you go.

She seems to love herself, let her be.

Her opinions, beliefs, and perspectives about her life and life in general are valid, just like everyone else's.

I would suggest that she stop exploiting herself for profit.....

But everyone does..

In order to live.

Sooooo...

I guess it's up to the individual if they deem anything to be "cancelled " or not.

Everyone has shamed, embarrassed, participated in exploitation of some form, gossiped, have egotistical, "superiority" "complexes", judge, etc....

Sooooo.....

I guess if anyone doesn't like it, as always they can change the channel. Stop watching.

Viewers are no different though.
Especially viewers of videos on public sharing allowed comments platforms.

They view for entertainment, and those who comment want some form of recognition or attention...

Can I be mad at Dr.Phill and other for doing this, when I've just shamed him and others on a public platform???

Idk.

No.

· Registered
4,150 Posts
Also what you guys think of 5:30, the guy was saying how he got attacked for wanting to lose weight like folks calling him a traitor and all 🤣

You are losing weight! Traitor!!! Lol
Look what happened with Adele when she lost wait. People were brutal. Her getting healthier was somehow an huge insult to fat people. I don't think fat shaming serves any positive purpose, but I have no problem pointing out that people thinking it's in any way healthy are delusional.

When mi kids were first born I gained quite a bit of weight, I was probably up around 185lbs, I felt like complete crap, and my blood pressure, cholesterol everything were in really bad shape.

Another thing people need to remember it's not just fat, body builders are not particularly healthy either. BMI isn't everything but it's a pretty good rule of thumb.

· Premium Member
7,083 Posts
So... no comment? Is this fat shaming? Is this delusion? Should Dr. Phil be cancelled? Is your opinion too controversial to post? 😅

Come now, tell all 😊
I watched the clip and I didn't see anything wrong with what the overweight girl is saying or what the guy who lost the weight is saying. I don't think we should be shaming overweight people or those that are thin or those that were once overweight and now are thin. People should really be minding their own damn business and let people be.

The goal is to be happy with yourself in whatever shape that takes. If you're unhappy, then it's time to address the problem because happiness is one the greatest predictors of longevity.

· Premium Member
5,292 Posts
I watched the clip and I didn't see anything wrong with what the overweight girl is saying or what the guy who lost the weight is saying. I don't think we should be shaming overweight people or those that are thin or those that were once overweight and now are thin. People should really be minding their own damn business and let people be.

The goal is to be happy with yourself in whatever shape that takes. If you're unhappy, then it's time to address the problem because happiness is one the greatest predictors of longevity.
I have no problem with people being comfortable with the way they look even if I don't think it looks good. What I have a problem with is when someone denies reality and tries to get the rest of us to believe in their fairytale. So many in this movement try to make the argument that they aren't unhealthy. The women in this clip even makes the statement that obese people are more likely to survive a heart attack. No good is going to come from denying medical realities. She should not be shamed for being who she is, but she should be shamed for spreading dangerous disinformation.

· Registered
2,944 Posts
We all are what we are, and we all are attracted to what we are attracted. Having said that, "Shaming", although part of the human repertoire of social conditioning since the beginning of the human race shouldn't be necessary in this day and age...to a point. Those who object to people not liking fat people in our societies should move to Mauritania where they can adore and objectify "fat" as a desirable female body. Personally, I'm not one bit attracted to fat people, and I will not apologize for it. I like what I like, and that's that; nonetheless, that doesn't mean that I will go around shaming people for being fat. By the same token, I will not help to perpetuate the stupid body positive that some people wants to shove down our throats.

· Premium Member
7,083 Posts
I have no problem with people being comfortable with the way they look even if I don't think it looks good. What I have a problem with is when someone denies reality and tries to get the rest of us to believe in their fairytale. Some many in this movement try to make the argument that they aren't unhealthy. The women in this clip even makes the statement that obese people are more likely to survive a heart attack. No good is going to come from denying medical realities. She should not be shamed for being who she is, but she should be shamed for spreading dangerous disinformation.
Well, what she said was technically truth. Much like younger people are less likely to survive a heart attack. Those two things are FACT.

I don't see an issue with an obese person claiming they are healthy because yes, obese people can be healthy, much like thin people can be unhealthy. One does not preclude the other.

The true statement should be obese people have higher risks for diabetes, heart conditions, and other long term illnesses That I can get on board with.

· Registered
2,469 Posts
It just seems no one wants to be honest with reality these days. Wh
I have no problem with people being comfortable with the way they look even if I don't think it looks good. What I have a problem with is when someone denies reality and tries to get the rest of us to believe in their fairytale. So many in this movement try to make the argument that they aren't unhealthy. The women in this clip even makes the statement that obese people are more likely to survive a heart attack. No good is going to come from denying medical realities. She should not be shamed for being who she is, but she should be shamed for spreading dangerous disinformation.
Honestly to me it feels like its a movement that ultimately wants to shame me for not feeling that overweight women are attractive. I actually find most to be unattractive. This will never change. But that doesn't mean I walk around treating over weight women poorly or that I make fun of them. No amount of complaining is going to make me feel the same way about them that I do I do when I look at Charlize Theron. Try as they might the beauty standard pendulum is NEVER going to swing that far. So get over it already.

· Registered
984 Posts
It just seems no one wants to be honest with reality these days. Wh

Honestly to me it feels like its a movement that ultimately wants to shame me for not feeling that overweight women are attractive. I actually find most to be unattractive. This will never change. But that doesn't mean I walk around treating over weight women poorly or that I make fun of them. No amount of complaining is going to make me feel the same way about them that I do I do when I look at Charlize Theron. Try as they might the beauty standard pendulum is NEVER going to swing that far. So get over it already.
It's leftist agitprop, to change the culture and remove the advantages that pretty people have and to shame you for not being attracted to those who are not considered attracted. Everything about the left is about forcing everybody into an average in all areas of life.

· Premium Member
5,292 Posts
Well, what she said was technically truth. Much like younger people are less likely to survive a heart attack. Those two things are FACT.

I don't see an issue with an obese person claiming they are healthy because yes, obese people can be healthy, much like thin people can be unhealthy. One does not preclude the other.

The true statement should be obese people have higher risks for diabetes, heart conditions, and other long term illnesses That I can get on board with.
I realize the statement about surviving a heart attack when overweight is true, but I feel statements like that are put out with the intent of trying to imply they are actually healthier than a normal weight person. They don't bother to mention the increased chance of having a heart attack.

I'm completely with you on the bold statement. There are many that try to deny that as well.

· Registered
2,469 Posts
It's leftist agitprop, to change the culture and remove the advantages that pretty people have and to shame you for not being attracted to those who are not considered attracted. Everything about the left is about forcing everybody into an average in all areas of life.
Yes, I am aware its an attempt to change how feel. But we have eyes, it's not possible. It's also based on the assumption that beauty standards are set by the people that put out media, advertising, movies, etc. I actually think advertisers are simply giving us what they know we like, what they know will sell us on a given product or film.

1 - 20 of 143 Posts