Talk About Marriage banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 161 Posts

·
Registered
5,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A recent meta-analysis indicates that the psychological differences between the sexes isn't as great as we sometimes judge. This apparently includes sexuality, and how we choose our sex partners and mates.

A review of the study canned found here: Genders Not So Different? : Discovery News

Thought some of you might find it interesting. I know I did. Especially since I've wondering a lot about the various socio-biological claims I've seen here on TAM. It always struck me that what was being attributed to evolution was more a product of social construction ...

·
Banned
1,967 Posts
Yep..I think most take the "differences" and make them such a far divide it gives an excuse almost like anyway to not have to "learn" the individual..and to excuse the opposite of love."indifference".

Its funny how more likely many are to "attach" themselves to "differences " of male and female that are not good attributes.Then say "its because I'ma guy or a girl"..Like its how you were "born" by virtue of gender..Its sad..

·
Registered
119 Posts
Absolutely agree! All the difference is due to the social construction. How could we neglect the social construction that shaped our parents and even sometimes nowadays we still have it. We are still buying different toys for boys and girls, when they are in the age when the brain is developing. When I was reading the book “Men are from Mars and women are from Venus” my impression was that it was the most unprofessional book in psychology I’ve ever seen. Some examples were just completely wrong and psychological reaction was different because a man was put in typical male environment (like main provider for family) and a woman was in a different environment (like a secondary provider and mainly housewife) and the reaction was completely consistent with defending his or her interests in this particular environment. If you’d switch them they would exhibit the opposite gender’s reactions. And recently the economy switched the positions a little. And immediately we can see the typical male reaction from women and typical female reaction from men.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Books that helped clarify the differences between my husband and I saved my marriage. And we do think and view things QUITE differently. Many marriages end because people fail to recognize those differences and treat the other according to their specific needs.

I agree that doesn't mean those rules HAVE to apply to everyone. There's exceptions to almost everything (I love video games, and comic books, and horror/sci fi movies :p General interests of men ). The differences set forth are but guidelines to consider in your quest for a better marriage, and end up helping a lot of people. If they don't help you, then move onto something else. But personally I owe my marriage to books like "Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus"

So while I don't entirely agree with the article, it was still interesting. :)

·
Premium Member
17,771 Posts
I read a few of those self-help books no one considers as a good source today. At the time, they were touted as helpful. We do what we think is best with what is available.

New discoveries come everyday. It is an interesting article and as society changes there are more things to learn. I agree there are many things different from thirty years ago. Thanks for the post.

·
Registered
650 Posts
I do think men and women are more alike than what is considered true by a societal standview. But we cannot really diminish the facts like hormones, brain chemistry, genetics, differences regarding aging etc etc. So yes, we are more alike than we think, but not to the point that we are the same.

A lot of relationships would actually benefit from the view that men and women are alike.

·
Registered
119 Posts
LOL I remember talking to one of my male friend about that mars/venus crap. I don’t remember was it in the book or in some of spin off from it but he gave me bs about difference in male/female vision. Like due to evolution man was a hunter and he had to develop a tunnel vision to stalk the animal, and a woman developed peripheral vision because she was looking after kids. That is why dirty socks on the floor don’t bother a man, he just doesn’t notice them, but they bother a woman. I just advised him to vacuum the floor and see how irritated he will get when he will have to pick up those socks before vacuum would suck it in. Not mentioning that a peripheral vision would benefit hunter too so he could see if some other animals are stalking him, or not mentioning that good driving skills, that males are so proud of, requires good peripheral vision.
Anyway, I believe in relations both spouses should think about their partner’s interests. Like it is not a big deal you leave your dirty socks everywhere, just think about the person who vacuums the floor.

·
Registered
647 Posts
The "differences" are socially constructed and heavily ingrained. Obviously things are changing there are no absolutes but the effects of our socialization still exist to more or lesser degrees depending on the individual.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I guess there was a positive side effect from the mars/venus crap. It was that some people at least start think that maybe another person actually have some different vision of the same things and different interests that maybe important to consider in the relations. It sometimes seems me that kids in our society were growing very unconsidered to others people needs. Parents are protecting kids from everything, even from knowing about the financial problems in the family. I always hear whatever happens but kids should feel that their home is secure. How would they understand the world if they never learned about the existence of problems? I’ve seen a movie about parents that were divorced and dad was trying to date someone and kids tried to make him go back to mom. In another movie a kid chooses a right wife for his dad. I watch it and I was disgusted, what a selfish unconsidered person is growing up! The kid doesn’t want even to think that his dad and mom actually are human with their interests, emotions. Then grown up, this kid would see only his point of view; he never would be able to understand another person’s needs.

·
Registered
4,453 Posts
Interesting article. I do believe that societal conditioning has a lot to do with some of the perceived differences between the genders (eg "sexuality, and how we choose our sex partners and mates"), but I also embrace the obvious differences.

·
Administrator
45,100 Posts
The linked to article is about a study that took data from 130 studies and mined it to come up with their own conclusions.

Most of the study subjects were college kids. It would be interesting to see what the outcome would have been if the subject were people who had been out in the world more, some married, some with children.

I do think that the sexs have a lot in common. But I also believe that there are some strong differences between the sexes. I recall reading some studies that tooked at things like brain waives, the parts of the brain used to complish certain things.. and as I recall men and women use different parts of the brains for some of the same functions.

To me... we are very similar and very diffent.. it's both and that's where a lot of the problems come in.

·
Registered
119 Posts
The linked to article is about a study that took data from 130 studies and mined it to come up with their own conclusions.

Most of the study subjects were college kids. It would be interesting to see what the outcome would have been if the subject were people who had been out in the world more, some married, some with children.

I do think that the sexs have a lot in common. But I also believe that there are some strong differences between the sexes. I recall reading some studies that tooked at things like brain waives, the parts of the brain used to complish certain things.. and as I recall men and women use different parts of the brains for some of the same functions.

To me... we are very similar and very diffent.. it's both and that's where a lot of the problems come in.
What if it has to do with training, especially if the study uses adults that were raised in certain environment. As I said we buy dolls to girls and we buy cars and transformers to boys. So we train certain areas of brain. There are studies that show that brain is very trainable that sometimes if certain areas were damaged people can train other part of brain to compensate the damage to some degree. What if he did train the girl’s brain differently and it is purely the result of our own **** ups? If she studied collage kids and I think it is the most accurate to predict the future, because they have less influence of the old school traditions than our generation.

·
Registered
647 Posts
There are actually pivotal time periods in (early) development where you are ripe to learn certain things, if you dont learn these things within this time period that window literally shuts and the opportunity is gone. Personality, enviroment, biology, its all connected and interdependent.

·
Administrator
45,100 Posts
What if it has to do with training, especially if the study uses adults that were raised in certain environment. As I said we buy dolls to girls and we buy cars and transformers to boys. So we train certain areas of brain. There are studies that show that brain is very trainable that sometimes if certain areas were damaged people can train other part of brain to compensate the damage to some degree. What if he did train the girl’s brain differently and it is purely the result of our own **** ups? If she studied collage kids and I think it is the most accurate to predict the future, because they have less influence of the old school traditions than our generation.
Sure it could be because of training (nurture vs nature). But we have no way to measure it.

We will never get a sample of humans who is not influenced by society. Even if we tried to completely get rid of gender roles, it would take so many more generations to do it.

The only humans who are untouched by gender based social conditioning are new born babies. There is not really a way to see if male and female baby brains are the same and then to track if differences are introduced due to nurture. At least there is no ethical way. The tests for brain activity are intrusive. So we do not do them on babies and young children unless completely necessay.

It might be of interest to do the brain activity studies and males/females of say college age, then 20 years later and in different cultures. Then we might be able to see if nurture (and social conditioning) has a large impact on making a differnce how the brains of men and women develop.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Men and women are different. Different genetic makeup, different brain wiring, different physical design, and different behavioral patterns. Male and female infants display different preferences of things to focus on (faces vs objects) even before "socialization" has had a chance to affect them. Even in simple party tricks we see differences...

chair trick - YouTube

The Chair Lifting Experiment-- Men vs Women - YouTube

and then there is this sort of thing...

Prager University: Men and the Power of the Visual - Male/Female Differences, 1 - YouTube

We are two sides of the same species that has evolved over millions of years to take advantage of complementary differences to enhance survival. To deny this, is to deny the obvious and to do it for dogmatic political reasons is no different than claiming the earth is flat. The goal in life is to learn to understand these things in order to better communicate and make life better for everyone involved.

Personally, when I was in my teenage years, it was a great relief for me to learn that women are not crazy... they're just "different". It has taken years for me to learn just how different they really are and I am still learning. The only thing that I am absolutely certain of about them is that, if I think I fully understand one, it's only because I haven't known them long enough.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Men and women are different. Different genetic makeup, different brain wiring, different physical design, and different behavioral patterns. Male and female infants display different preferences of things to focus on (faces vs objects) even before "socialization" has had a chance to affect them. Even in simple party tricks we see differences...
chair trick - YouTube

The Chair Lifting Experiment-- Men vs Women - YouTube

and then there is this sort of thing...

Prager University: Men and the Power of the Visual - Male/Female Differences, 1 - YouTube

We are two sides of the same species that has evolved over millions of years to take advantage of complementary differences to enhance survival. To deny this, is to deny the obvious and to do it for dogmatic political reasons is no different than claiming the earth is flat. The goal in life is to learn to understand these things in order to better communicate and make life better for everyone involved.

Personally, when I was in my teenage years, it was a great relief for me to learn that women are not crazy... they're just "different". It has taken years for me to learn just how different they really are and I am still learning. The only thing that I am absolutely certain of about them is that, if I think I fully understand one, it's only because I haven't known them long enough.
Here is where evolution comes into play,adaptability and strength of dominant traits this doesnt change nature vs, nurture ...why or how these dominant traits come into play. Parental treatment even at the earliest stages can effect what you have said as well as biased thinking in the interpretation of characteristics displayed. Men and women become different but are not inherently all that different aside from the obvious bodily differences. Not that how or why really matters....it is what it is....we have to deal with it in the here and now...

1 - 20 of 161 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.