Talk About Marriage banner

701 - 720 of 790 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
Mange is a really bad problem with all the foxes around here... They are on my property several times a day and most have mange 🙁
That's awful!!! Mange gets bad like that in dogs when they have poor immune function...I wonder if something is making the foxes sick, and then the mange takes over...

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
That's awful!!! Mange gets bad like that in dogs when they have poor immune function...I wonder if something is making the foxes sick, and then the mange takes over...
Here is a little info on the type of mange they have. The mange comes first, from mites, and then the compromised immune system comes later.

Sarcoptic mange is the name for the skin disease caused by infection with the Sarcoptes scabei mite. The mites are microscopic and can’t be seen by the naked eye.
Mites are passed from animal to animal by close contact or in bedding. Male and female mites meet on the animal’s skin and mate. The male mites soon die, while the females burrow into the outermost layer of skin, creating a maze of tunnels and feeding on the body fluids oozing from the minute wounds. As they burrow, they lay eggs. After two or three weeks the female dies at the end of her tunnel. The eggs soon release larvae that work their way to the skin’s surface. There, they migrate to new sites and make other burrows, where they go through a series of molts before adulthood. Males find females, impregnate them, and the cycle starts anew.

During the process, mites deposit excrement that invokes an intense immune response, an inflammation that is terribly itchy. The animal scratches and bites at the irritation, often breaking the skin, allowing in various types of bacterial infections. The scratching also pulls out fur, which worsens the situation because mites prefer skin without hair. The animal is constantly on the move, sleepless and exhausted, and eventually dies from multiple stresses, such as hypothermia, infection and starvation.

·
Registered
8,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #709
What did you do to your arm/elbow?

Reactions: LisaDiane

·
Registered
8,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #710
Diet and exercise as usual. I had a friend of my youngest son ask what cycle I was on. LoL! All natty as they are saying these days.
I'm not down with the cool-kids. This felt like a different language... what is meant by 'what cycle' you are on? And 'all natty' (is that all natural?). I feel OLD hahah.

You have great definition, Conan.

·
Registered
8,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #712
@bobert ...those photos are beautiful, and so clear. I love how the caterpillar looks like he's wearing shoes.

I read up a little... (you may already know this)... it's a male butterfly, which you can tell by the 2 black dots on his hind wings. 10 Fascinating Facts about Monarch Butterflies

·
Registered
931 Posts
I'm not down with the cool-kids. This felt like a different language... what is meant by 'what cycle' you are on? And 'all natty' (is that all natural?). I feel OLD hahah.

I think "cycle" refers to how much Testosterone a guy is injecting and how often...maybe...?

·
Registered
13,274 Posts

Cycle is a reference to steroid use and natty means natural. I only learned the "cool kid" terms for this within the last six months.

·
Registered
8,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #718
Coffee for me; water for our herbs. But then we couldn't remember what this particular one is (second photo) and I couldn't get a distinct aroma from crushing the leaves. We hadn't kept the plant info/tags. I phoned my mother to ask if she could figure it out. She wondered if it's oregano (pronounced oar-ree-gah-no) and I responded, 'yes, it could be oar-ree-gah-no... let me see if Batman remembers getting that..' Because I'm bilingual, she heard me asking if he thinks it could be 'or-reg-a-no'... He said that could be likely. She suggested I taste it to see if it's like 'oar-ree..' ...then paused, laughed and said, 'I mean see if it tastes like or-reg-a-no.' So I tasted it... blerch. Has a bitter, kinda earthy taste which lingered longer than needed. To the green-thumbs on here, does this look like or-reg-a-no to you?

·
Registered
13,274 Posts
Coffee for me; water for our herbs. But then we couldn't remember what this particular one is (second photo) and I couldn't get a distinct aroma from crushing the leaves. We hadn't kept the plant info/tags. I phoned my mother to ask if she could figure it out. She wondered if it's oregano (pronounced oar-ree-gah-no) and I responded, 'yes, it could be oar-ree-gah-no... let me see if Batman remembers getting that..' Because I'm bilingual, she heard me asking if he thinks it could be 'or-reg-a-no'... He said that could be likely. She suggested I taste it to see if it's like 'oar-ree..' ...then paused, laughed and said, 'I mean see if it tastes like or-reg-a-no.' So I tasted it... blerch. Has a bitter, kinda earthy taste which lingered longer than needed. To the green-thumbs on here, does this look like or-reg-a-no to you?

It does resemble oregano.

701 - 720 of 790 Posts