Talk About Marriage banner

101 - 120 of 262 Posts

·
Registered
6,930 Posts
Why does this piece you off? How does this affect you at all the? Would you rather people become bitter and pathetic every time something that happens instead of trying to find the way it can work for good? I find that pretty sad.
Are you saying that people who claim to be religious are just using it as a prop to cope with every day problems? Rather than face their problems head on and try and do something about it?
Why not just pop a pill every night before bed and wake up the next morning having forgotten every bad thing that happened the previous day.
You think I’m sad?
You couldn’t be more wrong.

·
Banned
4,437 Posts
You know something @NextTimeAround with that sentence you summed up what really pisses me off about religion and it’s practictioners.
(This is not a personal attack, just a general comment.)
Every time that something happens that’s good you are supposed to thank God.
When something doesn’t happen you get the platitudes “God didn’t think you needed that” or “God answered your prayers but you haven’t seen it yet”.
And when something really terrible happens to you you get told “God moves in mysterious ways “ or my own personal favorite when someone dies too young “God only takes the best”.
In life you can either make things happen or wait for things to happen. And that’s it.
There’s a story about a man buying a house that had been abandoned for a number of years. The garden in particular was in a dreadful state. The man worked long and hard for months and eventually he had a garden to be proud of.
One evening he was cutting the grass when the local padre passed by. He said “Between yourself and the Lord you’ve done a great job on this garden”.
The man replied “You should have seen it when the Lord had it on his own”.
That woman in your story sat back and waited for a suitable man to come knocking at her door.
She should have looked for him herself.
Well, it does say God helps those who help themselves. So that part is clearly covered. What you are describing is coping mechanisms, and people giving thanks for what they have in life. /shrug

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
The ideal number of children depends on the parents' ability to care for them. Personally, I believe that if you have to turn over the care for a baby to other children because you're too busy getting busy making the next one then you have too many children (yeah, Mrs. Duggar, I'm talking to you).
A fellow I work with has 11 children. It's true, having older children to help care for the younger children certainly helps the mother, but I'm not so sure the motivation for having the older children was to make having the younger children easier. Seems convoluted to me. They decided to ride the wave of childbearing and see where it goes. God bless them!

The daughters have a huge head start when it comes to having their own children, win-win.

·
Registered
6,930 Posts
Well, it does say God helps those who help themselves. So that part is clearly covered. What you are describing is coping mechanisms, and people giving thanks for what they have in life. /shrug
So is it a true belief in God/Allah/Jehovah etc or a coping mechanism.
You yourself made a comment in the girls night out thread when the subject of asking God a question arose.
“The answers are there, maybe we don’t do a good job of listening for them”.
This is meaningless to someone who needs help or solace. You may as well offer someone with cancer a piece of candy.

·
Registered
8,601 Posts
A fellow I work with has 11 children. It's true, having older children to help care for the younger children certainly helps the mother, but I'm not so sure the motivation for having the older children was to make having the younger children easier. Seems convoluted to me. They decided to ride the wave of childbearing and see where it goes. God bless them!

The daughters have a huge head start when it comes to having their own children, win-win.
:scratchhead:

The daughters may decide they have had enough of child-rearing by the time they marry. I have two cousins who decided exactly that. They feel they were robbed of their childhoods. They love their siblings they raised but resent them at the same time.

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
:scratchhead:

The daughters may decide they have had enough of child-rearing by the time they marry. I have two cousins who decided exactly that. They feel they were robbed of their childhoods. They love their siblings they raised but resent them at the same time.
Possible too, can't argue.

As of yet, that hasn't happened in my anecdotal example of one family. But, I've seen and heard about this resentment (my wife for one.)

And yet my wife coos and giggles when I show her pix of my buddies family, lol

·
Banned
4,437 Posts
lol, actually it doesn't!

Cleanliness is next to Godliness is also not there, haha
I stand corrected. Well in this case I agree with Andy. Can't sit on your ass all day wishing and praying then ***** when nothing happens.

Reactions: OnTheFly

·
Registered
6,930 Posts
lol, actually it doesn't!

Cleanliness is next to Godliness is also not there, haha
“Hate the sin, love the sinner” is also not a biblical quote despite being bandied around on a daily basis by numerous “Holy” people.
It was written by Gandhi in 1929.
A little more recent than people think.

·
Banned
4,437 Posts
So is it a true belief in God/Allah/Jehovah etc or a coping mechanism.
You yourself made a comment in the girls night out thread when the subject of asking God a question arose.
“The answers are there, maybe we don’t do a good job of listening for them”.
This is meaningless to someone who needs help or solace. You may as well offer someone with cancer a piece of candy.
I dont see why it can't be both. People cope in different ways. Turning to ones faith is probably better than downing a bottle of jack or similar.

As far as that comment, I dont remember the context. Perhaps it was a round about way to have someone take a look at things under a different perspective. I honestly dont remember the context of the quote. If you aren't a believer in God, you can also take that same comment as "search within yourself for the answers you seek"

I had another person on here get on to me for a Tool quote signature. "Repugnant is the creature who would squander the ability to life an eye to heaven conciousness of his fleeting time here" which again, only an atheist just trying to start **** would have a problem with that quote. What is heaven to you? Time with your family perhaps? Whatever your little slice of heaven is, doesn't matter. You can apply it to those lyrics and to your life. I dont see how anyone could take offense to that quote unless one is just trying to be an ass on purpose.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
I've personally never understood the need to match up via faith. It's a rather personal thing that shouldn't impact anyone else. It's your own relationship with God. Similarly to how you can have great friends of all different belief systems. I dont see why the same can't be said for a partner.

Obviously if it's important to you to match on that level, by all means go for it.
I guess it depends on one’s belief. You mention that it’s personal and shouldn’t impact anyone else, but there are many that believe it should impact others. There was a time when believers felt like they had a work to do in life, and that work usually consisted of helping others see the light, so to speak. Sharing religious beliefs just gets rid of an obstacle in the relationship. For people who really take it seriously, it would be tough to go through life loving somebody, but wondering if their soul is well or to see them do something that you feel they shouldn’t do all their life. Of course, if you don’t feel it that strongly, I suppose it doesn’t matter as much.

·
Banned
4,437 Posts
I guess it depends on one’s belief. You mention that it’s personal and shouldn’t impact anyone else, but there are many that believe it should impact others. There was a time when believers felt like they had a work to do in life, and that work usually consisted of helping others see the light, so to speak. Sharing religious beliefs just gets rid of an obstacle in the relationship. For people who really take it seriously, it would be tough to go through life loving somebody, but wondering if their soul is well or to see them do something that you feel they shouldn’t do all their life. Of course, if you don’t feel it that strongly, I suppose it doesn’t matter as much.
With or without a belief on God, people are going to do things their spouse thinks they shouldn't do. So this isn't adding or subtracting that element either way you slice it. A truly just and all knowing christian God wouldn't judge a Buddhist for example who's never been exposed to christianity due to where they live. If He does, then He's not truly just. Or perhaps he should send his followers to hell for not reaching those people in that remote Vietnam village?

Also, one of the issues I have with the church is followers seem to not understand the difference between sharing the word and preaching the word if you know what I mean. Lots of preaching out there. In what aspect of life, (outside of parenting young children,) is telling someone how they need to live their life an effective way to reach someone?

The bolded, actually that's not hard at all. I'm pretty sure that's fairly common. I'm also pretty sure that's what you are taught to do.

·
Registered
7,485 Posts
Children are called a blessing.
yes, they are. Parents should not be having kids with plans the older ones can take care of the younger ones. IOW, giving kids adult responsibilities....... and no authority, ie "You're not the boss of me."

You may feel that each child is a blessing, but each child who has their childhood taken away from them due to a parent's ego may not agree with you.

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
yes, they are. Parents should not be having kids with plans the older ones can take care of the younger ones. IOW, giving kids adult responsibilities....... and no authority, ie "You're not the boss of me."

You may feel that each child is a blessing, but each child who has their childhood taken away from them due to a parent's ego may not agree with you.
Read post #108 kthx

·
Registered
6,930 Posts
Both my parents agreed that having me stopped them from divorcing.
Neither of them wanted custody. 🤔

·
Premium Member
7,487 Posts
“Hate the sin, love the sinner” is also not a biblical quote despite being bandied around on a daily basis by numerous “Holy” people.
It was written by Gandhi in 1929.
A little more recent than people think.
Gandhi was quite the wit also.
For example, his quip when asked what he thought about Western Civilization: "I think it would be a good idea."

101 - 120 of 262 Posts