Talk About Marriage banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Administrator
42,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm hearing that part of the problem with stocking grocery stores, etc. is that truckers are having serious issues. A lot of states have closed down rest areas. So now truckers cannot park their trucks and rest.

They have having trouble getting food to eat and other supplies. They cannot go through drive throughs because a customer has to be in a vehicle. They cannot be on foot. Truckers cannot drive a semi trough the drive through.

Looks like a we need build a support system for truckers across the country.

If you are a trucker, or know one, what's going on?

·
Registered
6,089 Posts
I'm in the industry. PA shut down the rest stops but are now open. My fleet can use TA/Loves and the other truck stop/fueling stations. Most of my fleet purchase food and cook in their trucks. A majority have a bathroom. If they want to get fast food there are apps for ordering and the food will be brought out to the truck. Of the numerous drivers I speak with daily I have not heard any complaints or issues getting what they need.

·
Administrator
42,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm in the industry. PA shut down the rest stops but are now open. My fleet can use TA/Loves and the other truck stop/fueling stations. Most of my fleet purchase food and cook in their trucks. A majority have a bathroom. If they want to get fast food there are apps for ordering and the food will be brought out to the truck. Of the numerous drivers I speak with daily I have not heard any complaints or issues getting what they need.
That's good to hear. I hope the rest of the country is doing these sorts of things.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Don’t get me started.

It was getting fairly rough before we quit driving.

An example: There aren’t enough truck stops to park all the trucks in, which is why you would see so many parked on off ramps to interstates.

Several states were starting to make some pull offs, without facilities, illegal for trucks to park.
We got ran out of one in California when trying to get our rest break in.

Starting to limit trucks parking on off ramps, but I think Ooida and the ATA were able to limit or reverse some of the restrictions.

It’s rough and a rough life.

Granted the behavior of some of the truckers was to blame for some of it but because of lack a facilities for otr drivers many didn’t have a choice.

Then Cars can pull into a place every 50- hundred miles or so, but in some areas such as Kansas, desert, etc a truck may have to drive much farther to find a place where you can get a rig in and out of.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Companies started paying for bathroom in the rigs?

·
Registered
244 Posts
I'm hearing that part of the problem with stocking grocery stores, etc. is that truckers are having serious issues. A lot of states have closed down rest areas. So now truckers cannot park their trucks and rest.

They have having trouble getting food to eat and other supplies. They cannot go through drive throughs because a customer has to be in a vehicle. They cannot be on foot. Truckers cannot drive a semi trough the drive through.

Looks like a we need build a support system for truckers across the country.

If you are a trucker, or know one, what's going on?
I am, but I am regional/local, so I am home every night. Not much in rest stops in the area I run in.

Sent from my cp3705A using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
42,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
16,567 Posts
Along with our police, and the medical personnel and their screeners, truckers are just as big a hero, at least in my book!

·
Registered
6,089 Posts
Seriously? Where were these when I was doing OTR?

Did you run you own rig? Many of our straight trucks have bathroom and shower as well. Our contractors run rigs similar to this:

Straight truck like this:

My trucks will stay out for 2-3 months at at time.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Did you run you own rig? Many of our straight trucks have bathroom and shower as well. Our contractors run rigs similar to this:

Straight truck like this:

My trucks will stay out for 2-3 months at at time.
I just might have to come work for you. It's been over 20 years since I was OTR, and I don't really remember seeing anything this big. Probably a result of technology improving.

·
Registered
6,089 Posts
I just might have to come work for you. It's been over 20 years since I was OTR, and I don't really remember seeing anything this big. Probably a result of technology improving.

It sure has. Automatic transmissions and all sorts of new tech. But never the less, it is not an easy job. I'm in operations. I could not run the road for a living.

We run every type of trailer up to 75 ton lowboys. Jeeps when required. Those guys and gals make a pretty penny. Some tell me they don't fire up their truck for anything less than $30k on the run. The get it too because they can. Many of my teams are retired couples who wanted to see America and make a few dollars doing it. Most enjoy it. Great to work with.

·
Registered
244 Posts
It sure has. Automatic transmissions and all sorts of new tech. But never the less, it is not an easy job. I'm in operations. I could not run the road for a living.

We run every type of trailer up to 75 ton lowboys. Jeeps when required. Those guys and gals make a pretty penny. Some tell me they don't fire up their truck for anything less than $30k on the run. The get it too because they can. Many of my teams are retired couples who wanted to see America and make a few dollars doing it. Most enjoy it. Great to work with.
If my one wife wasn't diabetic with other medical issues, I'd might consider going back OTR, taking the spouses with me. As is I drive a day runner for Goodwill. We've gotten a few newer automatic Volvo's. I've found I really like how I can't lock my self out of one. Sadly, I don't have one, just driven them a couple of times.

·
Premium Member
2,583 Posts
This pandemic is pointing out to us who the real very important people are in our society...not the elite.. it's the people who are on the front line every day.

@EleGirl, you may a very valid point. Isn’t it ironic how we take it all for granted, that is, the importance of each profession and job. I have watched the UPS, Fed Ex, and Postal workers moving around our area like lightning. Our sanitation workers are on the job, and no telling what they are exposed to, yet they know they have a job to do.

I have been fortunate in my youth (Did not think so at the time) to work summer jobs as a sanitation worker,janitor, delivery man for a dairy company, as well as work light construction, and work for a paving company shoveling hot asphalt in the summer. I have a great appreciation for every profession. These folks are the backbone of our country. God bless all who are working hard to keep it all together during these trying times.

And lastly, to quote Cardinal Dolan.....”Be not afraid”. :smile2:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts