Talk About Marriage banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I learned the hard way but I learned when my wife tells me her problem I used to give her advice. That was insulting and got me an unplanned trip to the dog house. Now I ask her how it made her feel. After she tells me, we have bonded. :D

·
Registered
315 Posts
Hmm I guess it depends on what and how you give advices. Also, it might have some difference of the one that gives the advices being a man or a woman.

But yeah, in the over all, it's important that you can make her feel how you're understanding why and how she feels towards the situation.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Very wise indeed. Wives don't necessarily want you to 'fix' them or the issue, they just want to know you've HEARD & understand how they feel. By asking her 'how does this make you feel' you've earned yourself brownie points or as Mark Gungor would say a 'ding'

GREAT JOB!

·
Premium Member
14,190 Posts
I learned the hard way but I learned when my wife tells me her problem I used to give her advice. That was insulting and got me an unplanned trip to the dog house. Now I ask her how it made her feel. After she tells me, we have bonded. :D
Yeah...it's kinda sucky, but that is how us women are... we like to be heard ...and understood...somehow this is like watering a wilted flower in our time of thirst...and we feel "validated".

My husband has always given me this....I can run to him with any care, he will open his arms & give me his undivided ear, he has my back...then we basically jump to "fix" together.

Here is a great write up about this >> http://talkaboutmarriage.com/general-relationship-discussion/39565-validating-your-spouse.html

·
Registered
260 Posts
Yeah...it's kinda sucky, but that is how us women are... we like to be heard ...and understood...somehow this is like watering a wilted flower in our time of thirst...and we feel "validated".

My husband has always given me this....I can run to him with any care, he will open his arms & give me his undivided ear, he has my back...then we basically jump to "fix" together.

Here is a great write up about this >> http://talkaboutmarriage.com/general-relationship-discussion/39565-validating-your-spouse.html
Kudos on saying this with perfect clarity and showing how it helps a couple "Jump to fix together"!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.