Talk About Marriage banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious on how you all worked through the period where one or the other may be feeling like they are missing out on normal young life experiences? What a healthy way to handle it and meet in the middle?:smthumbup:

·
Registered
579 Posts
Well I read the experiences on TAM and it made me lose faith in the opposite sex, so I feel way less inclined to see what I'm missing. Greener on the other side? Yeah right.. it sucks more if anything.

My friend has 3ways to keep her marriage interesting, but it destroys them more often than it saves them.

My other friend is still stuck in her rut, where she's just unsure. Oh yeah, she went out and cheated on her husband, that didn't make things any better. In fact, doing much worse. On anti anxiety pills and anti depressants now.

I still do miss the girls life, I won't lie. But I can live that when I'm older.

All my young friends who ditched their hubbys because they felt like they were missing out are all in unstable relationships now. Physically abusive, verbally abusive, cheating men.. I don't have guy friends anymore so I can't tell you about them. Just the girls.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I got married at 21, my wife was 19.

I know how you feel... I went through a phase where I harbored some resentment that I never got to "live life fast and fun" before settling down. It can be hard, but remember that you married your spouse for a reason: You love him and you knew you would be happy with him. Some people spend an entire lifetime looking for love, for a fulfilling and meaningful relationship. Count your blessings and be happy that you found something wonderful so early on. Now you have a much longer time to enjoy your sweetie.

At the risk of giving you TMI, here's a suggestion. My wife and I did this a few times shortly after our wedding because we were both feeling like you're feeling.

Dress up nice and go to bar. Go inside, but don't hang out together. Chat with other people, flirt with them a little (if you're both comfortable with that), and have a good time. At some point, "find" each other and go home together as if you're just hooking up with someone from the bar. I'm sure you know what inevitably follows at home...

Makes for a fun evening and a very satisfying night for both of you. ;)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I got married at 21, my wife was 19.

I know how you feel... I went through a phase where I harbored some resentment that I never got to "live life fast and fun" before settling down. It can be hard, but remember that you married your spouse for a reason: You love him and you knew you would be happy with him. Some people spend an entire lifetime looking for love, for a fulfilling and meaningful relationship. Count your blessings and be happy that you found something wonderful so early on. Now you have a much longer time to enjoy your sweetie.

At the risk of giving you TMI, here's a suggestion. My wife and I did this a few times shortly after our wedding because we were both feeling like you're feeling.

Dress up nice and go to bar. Go inside, but don't hang out together. Chat with other people, flirt with them a little (if you're both comfortable with that), and have a good time. At some point, "find" each other and go home together as if you're just hooking up with someone from the bar. I'm sure you know what inevitably follows at home...

Makes for a fun evening and a very satisfying night for both of you. ;)

its not me thats feeling this way..its him..im trying to figure out how to handle it..i have no desire what so ever to be "single"... we got married at 19...then he was totally ready..but now i feel like im smoothering him because hes now realizing hes not really excited about the responsibilities of being a husband and wants to do what he wants, when he wants without anyones consent and that just cnt happen..im not sure what to do really to change this..idk rather to give him a break or what bcuz i feel like i shouldnt have to be unhappy because he doesnt want to do his duties anymore..its making me bitter on the inside..

·
Registered
39,568 Posts
He has lost respect for you. He KNOWS you have no intention of leaving him; therefore he's free to resent you and go have fun. IF he were worried that you wouldn't put up with it, I'll bet he'd change his tune.

·
Premium Member
1,546 Posts
Married at 17 wife was 16. Still together after 35 years. I never went threw that but she did. It came within hair of me calling it quits but I stuck it out and she saw the error of her ways and self corrected.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.