Talk About Marriage banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Married 8 years ago together 10 years -mid 40s.
my wife seems to have no interest in sex. I think, or am told it's a combination of factors. it's been going on for more than 7 years. When we dated I was a bit kinkier but she was engaged and often initiated and was playful sexually.

1. She has a fibroid condition that made her period often painful and she bleeds often.
2. 7 years ago we moved across the world to her home country from the East cost of the USA to Japan. We dont make as much money as we used to, we have lived with and help her aging parents
3. We had major career changes.
(we also dont have kids)

I understand the combo of conditions arent prone to sexual intimacy- i express my understanding.
In dealing with her health condition, she got very interested in Indian Ayurvedic medicine, she has become increasingly rigid regarding her stringency in practice of this. She has also become a germaphobe as a result of the condition, and i feel as if i am always dirty or being told often-- im not clean (i do shower daily and wash my hands) but the feeling i get is that to her, I'm icky. she says sex now doesn't feel good.

We have sex maybe 2 times a year sometimes, a year has passed and nothing.

She is definitely affectionate and playful, just non-sexually-- likes kisses and hugs- but there is ZERO sexual spark from her. None. She often pushes me away when i do try to initiate any kind of sexual interaction. it's always "not right now" "i have to go get ready for work" or she falls asleep when i am affectionate with her at night in bed, sleeps so deep she never wakes and is not respondent if i kiss her on the cheeks or touch her gently during sleep. if she does stay awake, she kinda lays there to receive kisses and touch, not on the genitals but light foreplay...maybe slightly breasts and nipples, but usually gets turned off and touch back or i get frustrated by the lack of reciprocation and give up.

Occasionally ill touch her ass or lower back in the shower, or wash her body which she allows, but always runs out to do other things before sex can happen. other times and more often she pulls away.

I go through phases of trying to revive things, and have been lately--though often after repeated rejections or tepid response i get really sad and give up.

Today we were playfully trying to pass each other on the way out for the morning, and as doing i reached up and rubbed over her shirt where her nipples are with my my fingers-- not in a hard or rough way just playfully- then her mood instantly changed to disgust, and she barked "do you think women like to be touched like that?!". It was not rough, I didnt pull or poke, and i have never prior by a girlfriend or lover in the past been told that my touch is bad-- it was really normal playfulness in all my other experiences would have been completely ok.

Last week in bed when she wasn't able to sleep i tried to pull her over to me a few times in groggy state feeling playful, and she said, "i dont feel good, and i dont like you pulling me over there" i asked what was wrong, she said her stomach didnt feel right and just want to read on her phone and be left alone. I rolled over with my back to her-- and she responded "you cant stand it when you don't get your way" -- mind you we havent had sex but 1 time for 5 minutes, since February, nor did i do anything but try to pull her closer to me.

Since last year we have had sex- 2 times. 1 when we went for a weekend near hot springs, the second time was last week, it lasted 5 minutes, because she needed to go to the bathroom, and when she returned, the mood was done. it's now July 31. When we last had sex in February on a weekend getaway, she expressed regret that she let it get to the point it has. she said she'd do somethings to change-- and work on it. After. NOTHING. That last time in February i took her to nice hot springs, very romantic place- though she wouldn't engage in any play in the private hot spring area. i got pretty annoyed, because it was specifically a romantic place. but the limited range of acceptable situations for the rare occasions we do have sex has also gone down to -- bed only. sheets must have been washed.

on the rare occasions we do have sex, she is tepid about it. I have pleaded with her to look into why her libido is gone and there is no passion. I have expressed that i want to feel desired sometimes by my partner. I support and understand the medical problems and stress, and that sex doesn't have to be only coitus- but the sexual energy and desire is important-- and believe me i know it's not the same as when a relationship starts, but there is nothing from her on the desire or expressions of sexuality. I asked her to try and masturbate just to try and get the feeling going, even if im not there-- i dont think she ever does.

I tell her she is cute, attractive, i compliment her when she looks nice, i kiss her and hold her hand and am affectionate-- im supportive of her regarding work issues and encourage her and offer support. I am certainly not perfect- but, I am decent looking, loving, i make her laugh. She often says she loves me, i make her life better and happier and I absolutely believe her. I don't question the love part. But, the libido and lack of passion-- I cant understand it.

I see responses by people here for these types of issues and i recognize, communication is a key. I have tried. repeatedly. I'm hurt-- and i often loose my ability to keep from becoming crazy emotional when having conversations about this. because i have tried. And the last time we really had the talk was that time in February. I know divorce is an option but she is my only family -- my parents are gone and have no kids- tho i do have some friends but, I live in a foreign country, and the thought of divorce means i probably have to go back to the USA and I dont have anything support system there.

I have recommend counseling but it' really expensive here and we cant afford it. She also isnt receptive to marriage counseling.I wish there were other healthfully sexually engaged married people we could talk to openly. Because if i bring it up, she gets defensive and shuts down or pushed back.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
I am sorry you are going through this. I just wanted to touch the fibroid Condition: fibroid should be removed. If it’s painful and causes a lot of bleeding ( potential for anemia) , it should be gone. Any reason this hasn’t been done yet?

·
Registered
4,685 Posts
1. She has a fibroid condition that made her period often painful and she bleeds often.
It can be hard to "feel good" when you don't feel good. If that condition has persisted for long enough, the idea of pain/discomfort and sex have likely become inseparable.

My wife has a few friends with similar conditions and it is surprising that many chose to NOT do anything about it as if it is untreatable. The condition is however very treatable in a variety of ways. There may be some concern over losing one's fertility for some options such as a hysterectomy (if the fibroids are that bad and warrant that procedure). So what exactly does her doctor advise her to do?

So there is the 2nd problem in that getting pregnant could be very risky and complicated for your wife. Given that you and your wife are in your mid 40s AND have fibroids, I am fairly certain that a doctor would strongly advise against you wife getting pregnant. That could be a huge concern for your wife that you should not underestimate. What are you doing in terms of family planning?

If a doctor has recommended your wife for a hysterectomy, she may feel like it is the end of the world for being a female. It is definitely not. Some women that have decided on a hysterectomy feel as though it was the best decision ever made as they no longer suffer through problematic cycles that often result in anemia. The procedure can be done leaving the ovaries in place so that your wife still maintains all her natural hormones.

Don't allow your wife to stick her head in the sand and ignore something that is 100% treatable!

Regards,
Badsanta

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Hysterectomy would not be first choice here. They just remove fybroids. If that doesn’t work they consider other options.

·
Registered
4,685 Posts
Hysterectomy would not be first choice here. They just remove fybroids. If that doesn’t work they consider other options.
If the OP and his wife were in their 30s, then a hysterectomy shouldn't even be discussed in favor of other options. But he did say they are in their mid 40s. At that age with fibroid complications, the idea of getting pregnant is going to be problematic if not really risky. That makes a one-day laparoscopic hysterectomy procedure a good option for discussion. This because it is a once and done solution and prevents further complications or the need for a more invasive surgical hysterectomy that will require hospitalization once the fibroids get too big to remove via the birth canal laparoscopically.

Ultimately it is up to the doctor and insurance. But I know at that age the insurance companies prefer a one-day-once-and-done option that removes the risk of later complications or a risky pregnancy.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Ablation is a god send.

Just so you understand: Your sexuality situation will never be satisfactory and your wife sounds like she is turning slowly into a medical belief freak show. It’s sounds like a no return situation even more than most I see here.

I love Japan. Ebisu was a great place to live for 2 years.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am sorry you are going through this. I just wanted to touch the fibroid Condition: fibroid should be removed. If it’s painful and causes a lot of bleeding ( potential for anemia) , it should be gone. Any reason this hasn’t been done yet?
Yes-- she absolutely did not want surgery, after consulting with various doctors here.--which led her to Ayurveda. Ebiysu is not far from where i am :)

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
if she has fibroids, make sure you keep her away from any of the material by Dr Stella Immanuel. She claims fibroids are from "evil deposits left by spirit husbands." And that endometriosis and cysts etc are from having sex with demons.

Keep demons and spirit husbands out of your house.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
It depends on how large they are, how many there are, and where they are (some are actually growing in the uterine wall).

·
Banned
1,357 Posts
Hey Sam, did you know Japanese people don't have sex with their spouse? Maybe they do when they live in other countries, but they don't in Japan. They have children with their spouse but actually have sex with other people after that. I can't know if that practice permeates the entire country or the entire culture, but it's no secret that that's the way it is. I know that sounds strange and probably unbelievable, but I've heard it several times over the past 3 or 4 years. You're not the first westerner to complain about his Japanese wife. It seems the women don't bother to tell their western-culture husbands. So I don't know if her female problems are the reason, or if that is all she tells you. And I wouldn't suggest you ask her about it but maybe ask someone else there if you want to confirm what I'm saying. Perhaps you have a few friends there you could ask.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey Sam, did you know Japanese people don't have sex with their spouse? Maybe they do when they live in other countries, but they don't in Japan. They have children with their spouse but actually have sex with other people after that. I can't know if that practice permeates the entire country or the entire culture, but it's no secret that that's the way it is. I know that sounds strange and probably unbelievable, but I've heard it several times over the past 3 or 4 years. You're not the first westerner to complain about his Japanese wife. It seems the women don't bother to tell their western-culture husbands. So I don't know if her female problems are the reason, or if that is all she tells you. And I wouldn't suggest you ask her about it but maybe ask someone else there if you want to confirm what I'm saying. Perhaps you have a few friends there you could ask.
Oh-- I am well aware. there's a lot of sexlessness here too. MY wife lived in the states for 20 years tho, so she also had her own expectations of marriage- outside of the Japanese standards.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
if she has fibroids, make sure you keep her away from any of the material by Dr Stella Immanuel. She claims fibroids are from "evil deposits left by spirit husbands." And that endometriosis and cysts etc are from having sex with demons.

Keep demons and spirit husbands out of your house.
she is into medicine but she's very savvy, logical and not superstitious person.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
I know a few women that have this condition. They get it treated by their gynecologists and have a normal sex life. One of them is very active by some of the comments she has made past to my my and I.

This sounds like it is a lot more than what she claims. There is not much you can do at this point. Either except it, divorce or open up the relationship.

·
Premium Member
799 Posts
Married 8 years ago together 10 years -mid 40s.
my wife seems to have no interest in sex. I think, or am told it's a combination of factors. it's been going on for more than 7 years. When we dated I was a bit kinkier but she was engaged and often initiated and was playful sexually.

2. 7 years ago we moved across the world to her home country from the East cost of the USA to Japan. We dont make as much money as we used to, we have lived with and help her aging parents
3. We had major career changes.
(we also dont have kids)

I understand the combo of conditions arent prone to sexual intimacy- i express my understanding.
In dealing with her health condition, she got very interested in Indian Ayurvedic medicine, she has become increasingly rigid regarding her stringency in practice of this. She has also become a germaphobe as a result of the condition, and i feel as if i am always dirty or being told often-- im not clean (i do shower daily and wash my hands) but the feeling i get is that to her, I'm icky. she says sex now doesn't feel good.

We have sex maybe 2 times a year sometimes, a year has passed and nothing.

She is definitely affectionate and playful, just non-sexually-- likes kisses and hugs- but there is ZERO sexual spark from her. None. She often pushes me away when i do try to initiate any kind of sexual interaction. it's always "not right now" "i have to go get ready for work" or she falls asleep when i am affectionate with her at night in bed, sleeps so deep she never wakes and is not respondent if i kiss her on the cheeks or touch her gently during sleep. if she does stay awake, she kinda lays there to receive kisses and touch, not on the genitals but light foreplay...maybe slightly breasts and nipples, but usually gets turned off and touch back or i get frustrated by the lack of reciprocation and give up.

Occasionally ill touch her ass or lower back in the shower, or wash her body which she allows, but always runs out to do other things before sex can happen. other times and more often she pulls away.

I go through phases of trying to revive things, and have been lately--though often after repeated rejections or tepid response i get really sad and give up.

Today we were playfully trying to pass each other on the way out for the morning, and as doing i reached up and rubbed over her shirt where her nipples are with my my fingers-- not in a hard or rough way just playfully- then her mood instantly changed to disgust, and she barked "do you think women like to be touched like that?!". It was not rough, I didnt pull or poke, and i have never prior by a girlfriend or lover in the past been told that my touch is bad-- it was really normal playfulness in all my other experiences would have been completely ok.

Last week in bed when she wasn't able to sleep i tried to pull her over to me a few times in groggy state feeling playful, and she said, "i dont feel good, and i dont like you pulling me over there" i asked what was wrong, she said her stomach didnt feel right and just want to read on her phone and be left alone. I rolled over with my back to her-- and she responded "you cant stand it when you don't get your way" -- mind you we havent had sex but 1 time for 5 minutes, since February, nor did i do anything but try to pull her closer to me.

Since last year we have had sex- 2 times. 1 when we went for a weekend near hot springs, the second time was last week, it lasted 5 minutes, because she needed to go to the bathroom, and when she returned, the mood was done. it's now July 31. When we last had sex in February on a weekend getaway, she expressed regret that she let it get to the point it has. she said she'd do somethings to change-- and work on it. After. NOTHING. That last time in February i took her to nice hot springs, very romantic place- though she wouldn't engage in any play in the private hot spring area. i got pretty annoyed, because it was specifically a romantic place. but the limited range of acceptable situations for the rare occasions we do have sex has also gone down to -- bed only. sheets must have been washed.

on the rare occasions we do have sex, she is tepid about it. I have pleaded with her to look into why her libido is gone and there is no passion. I have expressed that i want to feel desired sometimes by my partner. I support and understand the medical problems and stress, and that sex doesn't have to be only coitus- but the sexual energy and desire is important-- and believe me i know it's not the same as when a relationship starts, but there is nothing from her on the desire or expressions of sexuality. I asked her to try and masturbate just to try and get the feeling going, even if im not there-- i dont think she ever does.

I tell her she is cute, attractive, i compliment her when she looks nice, i kiss her and hold her hand and am affectionate-- im supportive of her regarding work issues and encourage her and offer support. I am certainly not perfect- but, I am decent looking, loving, i make her laugh. She often says she loves me, i make her life better and happier and I absolutely believe her. I don't question the love part. But, the libido and lack of passion-- I cant understand it.

I see responses by people here for these types of issues and i recognize, communication is a key. I have tried. repeatedly. I'm hurt-- and i often loose my ability to keep from becoming crazy emotional when having conversations about this. because i have tried. And the last time we really had the talk was that time in February. I know divorce is an option but she is my only family -- my parents are gone and have no kids- tho i do have some friends but, I live in a foreign country, and the thought of divorce means i probably have to go back to the USA and I dont have anything support system there.

I have recommend counseling but it' really expensive here and we cant afford it. She also isnt receptive to marriage counseling.I wish there were other healthfully sexually engaged married people we could talk to openly. Because if i bring it up, she gets defensive and shuts down or pushed back.
She sounds like she's developed some phobias about germs and all that. Her saying you're dirty but still kissing and being playful makes no sense. Honestly, she just sounds like she's just kind of spun off. I'm glad you don't have kids. I'm sorry you will feel isolated if you divorce her, but I don't see how this is going to get better. A psychologist for her is the best hope of seeing what else is at play here. But of course, if she has simply lost the sexual spark to you, counseling won't fix that. But if it's phobia-driven, it might fix that.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts