Talk About Marriage banner

221 - 240 of 256 Posts

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
A lot of people get bad advice, because the advisors assume that the advisee's have an infinite budget.
They need to get one, ONE pistol caliber that has sufficient killing power, and one, ONE rifle platform that can be ranged in to hit at 200+ yards. Then, cheap (hey, calibers matter, although with the run on ammo, bit late to the party) target ammo - hell even a .177 BB airgun and moving tennis balls - practice ammo, and train, train, train.
I agree but with a slightly different twist. For reference, I've been shooting since the 1960's.

There are a lot of different missions for firearms. The practical self defense mission does indeed require simplification as much as possible unless the person is a full time professional operator. When shtf we revert to so-called "muscle memory", aka our training. I am a big fan of IDPA but not so much of race oriented shooting sports for that reason. Practice with what you carry, train for the real world as much as possible.

Functionality of one's defensive firearms should be as standardized as possible. Don't mix 1911s with Glocks, and don't mix ARs with AKs. Not when it comes to self defense.

Standardizing on calibers means never loading a 9 into a 40 with the resulting kaboom. When bugging out, everyone has the same caliber, which has immeasurable benefits. Ideally everyone is on the same platform, so there is magazine interchangeability.

Simplicity is a virtue when things get serious.

When the mission is fun, hell yeah explore whatever tickles your fancy.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #222
You actually sound inexperienced in firearms which I can understand. But the rifles are the garand m1 it's a 30-06 and the fal is not a AR-10 but it is a .308. because you have inexperienced in this I'll leave this to you scope of understanding. "That said it is better to have and not need it , but to need it and not have it" If this floats your boat cool, but to any true gun guy one caliber simply isn't enough.
.30-06, .308, .300 wm, etc. all use .308 diameter bullets NATO calls them 7.62 .

Agreed. Glocks that have the same striker and barrel, Remington 870 and 1100, 2 Ruger 10/22, and 2 complete AR-15s, as well as another set of complete uppers and lowers. Extra magazines for all.

No, I don't reload. I'm not nearly that talented.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
So your cheap, and as far as giving advice yours is probably most damaging, to say one rifle and one pistol is sufficient.
I can't speak for others, yet I never felt that having to carry a Browning Self-Loading Pistol 9mm Mk III and the 5.56mm F88SA1 Austeyr rifle (one rifle and one pistol) to be insufficient.

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
.30-06, .308, .300 wm, etc. all use .308 diameter bullets NATO calls them 7.62 .

Agreed. Glocks that have the same striker and barrel, Remington 870 and 1100, 2 Ruger 10/22, and 2 complete AR-15s, as well as another set of complete uppers and lowers. Extra magazines for all.

No, I don't reload. I'm not nearly that talented.
That's a good start!!👍😀

Reactions: AandM

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
I can't speak for others, yet I never felt that having to carry a Browning Self-Loading Pistol 9mm Mk III and the 5.56mm F88SA1 Austeyr rifle (one rifle and one pistol) to be insufficient.
Not at all, I don't carry all of my rifles around either, I couldn't. 😎😇

Reactions: Personal

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
If I interpreted your post you have an M-1.
Check out www.ammogarand.com
Yes, I do and have 3 of them one a sniper version and one Remington and one carbine versions all are true and have matching #'s I got them 30 yrs ago they are worth to true afceaindo's thousands of $$$$$ each but they are family now and one couldn't sell a family member.

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
Besides, my grandkids and grandson are so fond of them, I bought a remake at Shields, w stainless barrel.

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
Pics and link, if possible, please.
That I would in the past, but nowadays they can zone in where exactly the pic was taken. So you'll just have to believe. And to those who think otherwise it's ok too. You know my bunker lol.

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
Shields doesn't list them anymore but this place does....

·
Registered
6,869 Posts
I am thinking we are about to see another huge wave of gun and ammo sales within the next few months
It seems recently that a month without another wave of gun and ammo sales would be the exception. Everyone seems to see every event of any significance as apocalyptic.

I'm not currently a gun owner, but I might be soon. Not because of any particular unease with the state of the world, which always feels worse in the moment than it turns out to be in retrospect, but because I intend to spend more time in the wilderness by myself with a lot of expensive equipment that might become the target for theft or vandalism.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
......but because I intend to spend more time in the wilderness by myself with a lot of expensive equipment that might become the target for theft or vandalism.
Prudent.

(but how do we know you’re not a deranged thug who’ll shoot every bear or raccoon who even so much as looks at your shiny new Nike Jordan Air Hikers?)

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #237
What may will be coming? If you own firearms, you will be canceled. No more credit, corporate job kaput, on every blacklist.

Welcome to the CCP-style Social Credit System.

I pray, that you, like me, lost all of my non-existent firearms and fairy-tale ammunition in a lake accident.

I will not be replacing any of it. (((B)))urn (((L)))oot (((M)))urder Uber Alles!

Just watch CNNSBC, and let the Stupid flow over you.

Ask me how!

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
What may will be coming? If you own firearms, you will be canceled. No more credit, corporate job kaput, on every blacklist.

Welcome to the CCP-style Social Credit System.

I pray, that you, like me, lost all of my non-existent firearms and fairy-tale ammunition in a lake accident.

I will not be replacing any of it. (((B)))urn (((L)))oot (((M)))urder Uber Alles!

Just watch CNNSBC, and let the Stupid flow over you.

Ask me how!
What firearms???

·
Banned
4,434 Posts
What if I prefer a knife? Anyone can pull a trigger. How many have it in them to use a knife?

221 - 240 of 256 Posts