Talk About Marriage banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been married 15 years. My husband has always raced cars, it’s VERY time consuming. I hoped one day he would out grow it. Well he did stop racing. First a little back story he has 2 children which were never in his life our entire marriage until the last 3 years. He sees his son one night and found out his son wanted to race cars. His son is 35 with a family of his own. Racing takes 4 nights a week to work on cars. I have had other family things going on like family weddings in another town for example my husband could not attend because of racing. I am 50 years old and I am extremely lonely. I know if I make him choose he will be full of resentment and I don’t want to be the evil step mother.

How long do I keep doing this? We were going to build a new house but I know that’s not going to happen with racing so I told him don’t bother. I do family weddings, funerals alone. I am so bitter now I don’t participate in any of his family things because of so many broken promises. .......what to do... thank you for reading and helping.

ETA - my husband was never on that track without me there I supported him the entire time. I was looking forward to doing other things after he quit, we bought a camper. I Have never said and never will say it’s me or the racing.

·
Registered
733 Posts
well you picked him him knowing this "hoping for a change" so yeah...

whats odd to me, is I know plenty of familys that race, and while the wives may not be turning wrenches in the garage, they attend the races and participate in other ways.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Hi Katie707,

Oh man. Sorry to hear about your situation but you'll get some great advice/questions here. I have some experience myself in getting a little overboard with hobbies. If the situation isn't corrected, YOUR resentment you build up can be fatal to your marriage.

Tell us about the things you've done to communicate with him about your unhappiness. Does your H know how you feel?

Is he roughly your same age?

If your H were super attentive to you the other 3 non-racing days, is it possible you could feel loved and supported?

One suggestion I have for you is a book "5 love languages."

All for now.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
I don't think you're right or wrong but I'm curious to know more about how you're handling this.

What have you said to him about the racing? I can understand him reconnecting with his son and really getting into the racing again, but I can't understand him missing funerals and weddings over it. Or changing home building plans over it. Or giving up camping with you.

It seems that a 50+ man should be mature enough to understand the racing is a hobby but at this point in life he doesn't have to be at EVERY event. He should be able to enjoy it when it's not interfering in other things, and not feel like a disapointed 10 year old if something less "fun" but more "important" comes up -- like attending a wedding or funeral with his wife. Or even spending time with his wife on a regular basis.

Anyhow, I may have some suggestions for you but I'm curious to know how you have approached this so far and just what you have said to him when he chooses racing with his son over being by your side when it's important to you.

I have been married 15 years. My husband has always raced cars, it’s VERY time consuming. I hoped one day he would out grow it. Well he did stop racing. First a little back story he has 2 children which were never in his life our entire marriage until the last 3 years. He sees his son one night and found out his son wanted to race cars. His son is 35 with a family of his own. Racing takes 4 nights a week to work on cars. I have had other family things going on like family weddings in another town for example my husband could not attend because of racing. I am 50 years old and I am extremely lonely. I know if I make him choose he will be full of resentment and I don’t want to be the evil step mother.

How long do I keep doing this? We were going to build a new house but I know that’s not going to happen with racing so I told him don’t bother. I do family weddings, funerals alone. I am so bitter now I don’t participate in any of his family things because of so many broken promises. .......what to do... thank you for reading and helping.

ETA - my husband was never on that track without me there I supported him the entire time. I was looking forward to doing other things after he quit, we bought a camper. I Have never said and never will say it’s me or the racing.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
So why does it matter if you're right or wrong? You have made a decision to not give your husband an ultimatum. So there ya go. The best thing you can do is accept this is the life you have chosen.

·
Registered
994 Posts
I'm curious to know how you have approached this so far and just what you have said to him when he chooses racing with his son over being by your side when it's important to you.
Yeah, same as the above. What happened when you tried to talk about this?

·
Banned
6,888 Posts
well you picked him him knowing this "hoping for a change" so yeah...

whats odd to me, is I know plenty of familys that race, and while the wives may not be turning wrenches in the garage, they attend the races and participate in other ways.
You may not have read her full post.

She stated very clearly that when he was still racing she was always there with him.

So yeah....reading the whole post is important.

·
Super Moderator
28,172 Posts

She stated very clearly that when he was still racing she was always there with him.

I think it might have been a case of:

"Hurrah! He stopped racing!"

"Boo, he started racing again!"

·
Banned
6,888 Posts
I think it might have been a case of:

"Hurrah! He stopped racing!"

"Boo, he started racing again!"
I think so as well.

My husband no longer works on racecars or at the track, but he still likes to go watch.

I confess: I don't care all that much about the dirt track or drag racing. I go with him a couple of times a month, and the other times, he hangs with his buddy whose son races. While he is gone doing that, I do stuff he doesn't participate in, like my songwriting and dinner with a girlfriend or a Netflix binge lol

There is absolutely no way my husband would blow off important family things to go to the track, however.

·
Registered
733 Posts

no I read her post. what I got out of it was that in the beginning she did participate....but no so much (or if at all) now. or even worse, now resents her husband for his dedication to racing (that she knew about from day one) and wants him to give it up (back to that hoping he would "change").

im sure for some people, they do loose interest in their hobbies/passions over time. but for many, as things progress (especially in racing) they get deeper involved as they climb towards higher levels of the sport.

she has made a couple statements where hi missed a funeral or a wedding. OK, but are these isolated examples in all the years he has been doing this, and can she honestly say he never participates in any other social or family functions? I highly doubt that but it sounds good if you are looking for a sympathetic ear.

·
Banned
6,888 Posts
no I read her post. what I got out of it was that in the beginning she did participate....but no so much (or if at all) now. or even worse, now resents her husband for his dedication to racing (that she knew about from day one) and wants him to give it up (back to that hoping he would "change").

im sure for some people, they do loose interest in their hobbies/passions over time. but for many, as things progress (especially in racing) they get deeper involved as they climb towards higher levels of the sport.

she has made a couple statements where hi missed a funeral or a wedding. OK, but are these isolated examples in all the years he has been doing this, and can she honestly say he never participates in any other social or family functions? I highly doubt that but it sounds good if you are looking for a sympathetic ear.
Let me break it down:

The entire time her husband was racing, she was supportive

When the SON (who husband had little to do with for 35 years) started racing, her husband began spending several nights a week with him doing the racing thing again, neglecting family in order to do so.

So yeah.......no

You are incorrect.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Let me break it down:

When the SON (who husband had little to do with for 35 years) started racing, her husband began spending several nights a week with him doing the racing thing again, neglecting family in order to do so.

So yeah.......no

You are incorrect.
says the OP. and neglecting what family? time with his son? is that not family? just because he had little to do with prior, is he not supposed to be involved with him now? I would argue it s exactly what he should be doing.

here is the thing....there are two sides to every story, and we are only getting one, and its human nature to throw stuff out to help your cause or garner sympathy for your situation. So rather then making a rash "you are incorrect" judgment, I am trying to look at this from both sides. I know that's a difficult concept around here, even this place has become polarized with the crowd of who is right and who is wrong. And even the OP admitted she knew full well how dedicated he was to this yet now laments the bed she made for herself.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Let me break it down:

So yeah.......no

You are incorrect.
Yeah, I'm interested to see if she's said what/how she has communicated her desire for him to be with her for important events and just spending time together in general.

If what she wrote is accurate, it sounds like he basically dumped his wife for his long lost son. I suspect it's not just the "racing" so much as his connecting with his son OVER the racing, which may mean a lot to him. He probably has a lot of guilt and regret over whatever kept them apart for so long, and a lot of joy over getting his son back. But it sounds like he's lost perspective over it. And he's totally neglecting his wife and marriage because he's so focused on his son and racing.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Yeah, I'm interested to see if she's said what/how she has communicated her desire for him to be with her for important events and just spending time together in general.

If what she wrote is accurate, it sounds like he basically dumped his wife for his long lost son. I suspect it's not just the "racing" so much as his connecting with his son OVER the racing, which may mean a lot to him. He probably has a lot of guilt and regret over whatever kept them apart for so long, and a lot of joy over getting his son back. But it sounds like he's lost perspective over it. And he's totally neglecting his wife and marriage because he's so focused on his son and racing.
are you really expecting to get an honest answer or portrayal of what really happened? yeah of course she is going to she is going to say she "told him she needed more quality time" or whatever with her husband. and even if she did, what does that mean? Give up racing? or just a few more family gatherings that have nothing to do with racing?

my point is, that we as human beings are so bad a really communicating we cant even hold a conversation anymore. its all viewed from a perspective of "I'm right, you are WRONG" lens.....just like politics where if you are for one thing then the other side is automatically AGAINST it, no matter what. even this place its like there is a war or contest of words when we don't even have all the facts.

·
Banned
6,888 Posts
are you really expecting to get an honest answer or portrayal of what really happened? yeah of course she is going to she is going to say she "told him she needed more quality time" or whatever with her husband. and even if she did, what does that mean? Give up racing? or just a few more family gatherings that have nothing to do with racing?

my point is, that we as human beings are so bad a really communicating we cant even hold a conversation anymore. its all viewed from a perspective of "I'm right, you are WRONG" lens.....just like politics where if you are for one thing then the other side is automatically AGAINST it, no matter what. even this place its like there is a war or contest of words when we don't even have all the facts.
Are you an avid racer? You are awfully defensive about a STRANGER's issue...

If you think a poster is going to lie, why even be on the thread?

·
Registered
733 Posts
Are you an avid racer? You are awfully defensive about a STRANGER's issue...

If you think a poster is going to lie, why even be on the thread?
not at all but I have done my share of it. not trying to sound defensive about anything, just trying to suggest people come here only seeing things from their perspective and try to sway the answers to what they WANT to hear.

I mean this is like a court room of public opinion. you think one side is gonna do or say anything that cast them in a bad light? NOT. so while i'm not calling the OP a liar.... I am questioning and taking what thrown out there with a big "maybe" and trying to look at both sides of the equation.

·
Registered
508 Posts
How long does racing season last?
Is it 4 nights a week 52 weeks of the year?
What time does he get home after racing?

Does he come right home after the race/repairs or going out drinking?

Does your husband own the car?
Is your husband a driver (or is it the son)?

Is your husband subsidizing the 35yo son's racing hobby?
Racing sounds expensive - how does it impact your budget, including retirement plans?

What bad happens if he skips a night?

Do you guys have children (and do you feel he's neglecting them)?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts