Talk About Marriage banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a 27 yr old married woman to a 28 yr old man.

We have a 2.5 yr old.

Recently, I have become pregnant with our second child

I am struggling with many insecurities in our relationship including that there is a lack of emotional support in dealing with my insecurities.

Just recently, we have had an arguement about taking a week long trip to my family's home in Flordia with our son.. a break from the cold canadian winter.

My husband has told me - he does not want to go.. he would prefer to stay home and told me to take my son.

My insecurities come from the following logic:

He is currently laid off during the winter so he does not have to be at work

We are able to afford to go on the trip as it would cost us 800 bucks to go and our accomodations are paid for - we have the money.

His favourite hobby - hunting - is not in season

He has NOTHING he could be doing other than being at home.

He has told me to go - with my son - and he will stay home.

Why would anyone every want to miss out? it will be our childs first plane ride, first time in flordia, first time at the beach, time away with his family in the sun... fun.

im hurt. I would never tell him to go without me. I would never want to miss out on time with him and my son like that.

ive expressed my feelings of hurt and explained my reasonings and he claims that i am making this into a sob story and i make hills out of mountains.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Maybe/maybe not....

What's the relationship like between your H and your family? Do they like/respect him or are there 'in-law' tension issues?

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
The one period I was laid off I hated to spend money on anything other than essentials. Is this a seasonal layoff related to construction or something? Even though your accommodations (and meals?) are paid for, the tickets will not be. So maybe that's bothering him. That said, of those firsts you named, only the first trip to the beach will be amazing. The plane ride will probably be unpleasant, the family stuff will be repeated over the years. Maybe your son will see certain animals for the first time and be delighted and amazed by them. That would be pretty memorable. I guess you could appeal to that aspect of the trip to try to entice him.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Why not ask him this: "You know, I suggested we go to my parent's house, but the location is not important to me... I'd just like to spend a little time with you away from here."

You might get a little idea of what his resistance is... is it Florida? your folks? just wanting time alone?

·
Registered
405 Posts
I never look forward to staying with inlaws. My husband talks about going to Kansas City for vacation and staying with his sister. I'd much rather stay at home than be stuck in an in-laws house. Now if we were going to stay in a hotel it would be a different story. His sister is not a bad person. It's just that I am not comfortable staying with inlaws and like my own space. If you can afford a hotel your hubby may change his mind about going.

·
Premium Member
4,945 Posts
Why would anyone every want to miss out? it will be our childs first plane ride, first time in flordia, first time at the beach, time away with his family in the sun... fun.
- Plane ride? Really? Never heard anyone talk about their kids first plane. It's not important. First words, steps, etc are different.
- Florida? I've been there and don't like it that much or care to go back.
- Beach? I kind of like it but some people don't like the beach.
- Time with family? No. It's time with in-laws.

Doesn't sound fun to me either and I've been happily married for a long time. Plus many people are homebodies. My wife goes on vacation with her family every year to either myrtle beach or panama city. I don't go and she doesn't make a big deal over it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.