Talk About Marriage banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Someone in This Thread noted that they didn't necessarily think taking marital advice from the Marine Corps was such a good idea. I don't know. An organization whose latin motto Semper Fidelis (often shortened to Semper Fi) means Always Faithful might have some worthwhile things to say about marriage.

So I was thinking about how the 14 Marine Corps Leadership Traits are a pretty good system on which to model how to be a good marital partner. As a naive, young private at the Marine Corps Recruit Depot I memorized the leadership traits using the acronym "JJ DID TIE BUCKLE". This stands for:

JUSTICE - Treat your partner fairly.

JUDGEMENT - Think before you act or speak. Remember that your partner will perceive unthinking as uncaring. Don't do things that will have a negative impact on your relationship.

DEPENDABILITY - Being dependable is one of the biggest ways you earn your partner's trust. Can your partner count on you? Do they know you will handle what they need you to handle, both physically and emotionally?

INTEGRITY - Be truthful and honest, and do what you know is morally right. Be a partner who is trustworthy.

DECISIVENESS - Don't be a waffler. Make decisions and communicate them clearly. Trust yourself to make good decisions. How can your partner know what you want if you don't appear to know yourself? How can they trust your judgement if you don't appear to know what you're doing?

TACT - Speak to your partner the way you'd like to be spoken to. Learn to communicate with them in a way they understand.

INITIATIVE - Be proactive. Don't wait for your partner to nag you before you take care of what they need you need to take care of. Don't wait until your marriage starts falling apart to be conscientious about it.

ENTHUSIASM - Pour yourself into all aspects of your marriage. Be enthusiastic about not only the fun parts, the romance and sex, but also the work that has to go into a good marriage.

BEARING - This means calm under fire. Marriage is an emotional relationship. The love and passion you feel for your partner up the emotional investment you have in every discussion and argument. Exercise self-discipline and maintain your composure. Don't let negative emotions determine how you speak to your partner. Keep a cool head and a calm voice. Don't be a whiner.

UNSELFISHNESS - Care about your partner's wants and needs and do your best to place them in line with your own. Everyone has needs they need met. It's ok to want your own needs met, but make sure you're putting at least as much into meeting your partner's needs as you are into getting yours met.

COURAGE - Have the courage to have the hard conversations. Stand up for your feelings and opinions. Don't be passive aggressive with your partner. Deal with issues in a straightforward manner.

KNOWLEDGE - How many older married people have you heard say, "If only I knew then what I know now," or "I just didn't understand how that made him/her feel"? Read books like The 5 Love Languages, No More Mr. Nice Guy, How to Improve Your Marriage Without Talking About It, the Married Man's Sex Life Primer, etc. Get professional advice from a counselor when needed. Participate in forums like TAM. Oh yeah, and there are lots of good instructional books and videos available in the sex department too. Want him/her to want to have sex with you? Up your game a little.

LOYALTY - This means you stand by your partner. Be faithful to your partner. Keep their best interests at heart. Don't bad mouth them to your friends or your family.

ENDURANCE - Be physically fit. He/She loves you. They don't expect you to be a supermodel or Greek god. But be someone your partner is proud to be seen with. Be someone your partner looks at as thinks, "Mmmmmmmm..."

·
Premium Member
14,190 Posts
Love every word, every bolded Trait & explanation you listed :smthumbup: .... this IS a striving for excellence in ALL ways deemed "Honorable" in healthy relationships ......what makes the BEST of men... and women for that matter...for any role in life... whether Marine, a husband, a wife, a parent, an employee, a friend, etc.

·
Registered
6,617 Posts
Love the post drover!
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.