Talk About Marriage banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This post will be very fragmented but I'll pull it together at the end.

Our twin boys got married last summer and I gave them 2 pieces of advice, one for sex and one for the relational side of marriage. For the relational side I quoted from a recent best selling book on marriage where a wife of 30 years who was soon to be divorced was asked what she had wanted out of her marriage but didn't get. Her answer was "15 minutes". Just 15 devoted minutes per day where the two could talk. She never got it. Hold that thought....

About 7 years ago my wife and I had to secure a loan for a new roof and fence. Through some slip up we ended up with $4000 too much and rather than pay it back got a hot tub and put it in the garage as we have a small yard. We use that hot tub 3-5 times per week still after all these years.

So what does the hot tub have to do with a good marriage?

We are captive to each other when in it. We always skinny dip and find it a great way to have those 15+ minutes a day to talk and catch up with each other. Even in our 6 month time of trouble we still talked in the tub. It's always productive time. No cell phones, no texts, no TV, no radio, no internet.... Just her and I.

So this is to encourage all of you to make that 15 minutes of devoted time each day for your spouse- whether you think you have it or not. Believe me, it can change a marriage.

·
Registered
3,361 Posts
My best friend is a woman I have known for about 8 years now. She was in the midst of divorce when we met. She is single still. She always said that she didn't know if she'd ever experienced love. This surprised me because she's an attractive, funny woman who is devoted to taking care of her home and cooking.

Anyway... She's had one long-term relationship during this time, and it ultimately didn't work out because of his own family issues, but she changed her tune about love completely because when they met, he asked to agree to a "mandatory five minutes a day" where they would drop everything and simply be together.

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My best friend is a woman I have known for about 8 years now. She was in the midst of divorce when we met. She is single still. She always said that she didn't know if she'd ever experienced love. This surprised me because she's an attractive, funny woman who is devoted to taking care of her home and cooking.

Anyway... She's had one long-term relationship during this time, and it ultimately didn't work out because of his own family issues, but she changed her tune about love completely because when they met, he asked to agree to a "mandatory five minutes a day" where they would drop everything and simply be together.
Wifey and I never cease to be amazed at what just a little bit of devoted time means in an entire relationship.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.