Talk About Marriage banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I meet my now husband when we were both 17. He was my first everything. He used to be very romantic and affectionate at first. We got married after going out for 5 years. He started changing even before we got married. He treats me like a friend rather than his wife. A lot of times people think we are brother and sister. He will hold my hand once in a while, but I feel we do things only when he wants to...He doesn't like to be touched now, he gets annoyed when I try to touch him. He doesn't like to kiss either or foreplay. He pushes me away or acts annoyed when I try to kiss him or get close to him. In the sex department I used to initiate sex most of the time, but this has gotten old so I have stopped. We have sex when he wants to but he doesn't kiss me or hold me. When we do, he will wake me in the middle of the night by rubbing against me and fingering me to get me ready. There is no kissing, no caressing or holding. Most of the time I just feel angry and resentful. I have talked to him numerous times and explained how I feel and how important affection is to me, but he tells me that he just doesn't like to. He even compared me to our dog, who always wants to be petted and pesters. I feel like every time he pushes me away we are getting further and further apart. I am so tired of begging for affection. It is making me bitter and angry. Next week is our 10 year wedding anniversary and I don't feel excited about it. Is it time to go? Am I wrong to want my husband to be more passionate and affectionate? I feel hopeless and worthless...

·
Registered
694 Posts
I meet my now husband when we were both 17. He was my first everything. He used to be very romantic and affectionate at first. We got married after going out for 5 years. He started changing even before we got married. He treats me like a friend rather than his wife. A lot of times people think we are brother and sister. He will hold my hand once in a while, but I feel we do things only when he wants to...He doesn't like to be touched now, he gets annoyed when I try to touch him. He doesn't like to kiss either or foreplay. He pushes me away or acts annoyed when I try to kiss him or get close to him. In the sex department I used to initiate sex most of the time, but this has gotten old so I have stopped. We have sex when he wants to but he doesn't kiss me or hold me. When we do, he will wake me in the middle of the night by rubbing against me and fingering me to get me ready. There is no kissing, no caressing or holding. Most of the time I just feel angry and resentful. I have talked to him numerous times and explained how I feel and how important affection is to me, but he tells me that he just doesn't like to. He even compared me to our dog, who always wants to be petted and pesters. I feel like every time he pushes me away we are getting further and further apart. I am so tired of begging for affection. It is making me bitter and angry. Next week is our 10 year wedding anniversary and I don't feel excited about it. Is it time to go? Am I wrong to want my husband to be more passionate and affectionate? I feel hopeless and worthless...
can you both read the books 'his needs her needs' and the 5 love languages? And how is he in other areas? Does he give you gifts? Does he arrange date nights? Does he talk with you? Does he help with housework? He might be showing love through those.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have talked to him numerous times and explained how I feel and how important affection is to me, but he tells me that he just doesn't like to. He even compared me to our dog, who always wants to be petted and pesters.
This is no way to live :( Marriage isn't just about his needs. If your needs aren't being met also and he doesn't help you fix things, it's time to leave. Put a time limit on it, 3-6 months, tell him, and if he makes no effort you can walk away knowing you did everything you could.

Do you have kids together?

·
Registered
180 Posts

This is my story to the tee. Except, my wife is exactly like your husband. We've been married 33 years, it seemed to get really bad in the last 1-2 years (no sex in a year & a half). I'm 55, she's 52. Neither one of us have any medical issues or weight problems. She has NEVER been really affectionate. I have always had to initiate everything. The last time I tried to "get close", she just sccooted away to her side of the bed and turned her back to me. We've never had any fights, never. I just won't! And I've never raised my voice at her. It never solves anything. Any time I'v tried to discuss a touchy subject with her, she gets defensive, so I don't go any further with it.
We have 2 daughters, 20 & 25, & I've talked to them about how their guys need to be treated. ie If they're rejected, they'll look elsewhere. I, on the other hand, can't afford to look elsewhere. I have WAY too much to loose.
I'm working, in my mind, on a way to talk to her, without rousing her defenses.

Sorry for the hijack, but I needed to vent.
However, it is somewhat comforting to know I'm not the only one in this type of situation.:(

·
Registered
247 Posts
I meet my now husband when we were both 17. He was my first everything. He used to be very romantic and affectionate at first. We got married after going out for 5 years. He started changing even before we got married. He treats me like a friend rather than his wife.........

Do you have children?

Sometimes after you have children a mans view of his wife makes an abrupt change. He may no longer view you as his lover but as just a mother, like his mother. Granted, you said he started to change before you were married but having children could have amplified it.

·
Administrator
44,446 Posts
Your husband's treatment of you is unacceptable.

If you are done with this then go see an attorney and file for divorce. Do you have children? Do you have a job outside the home?

If you want to try to fix your marriage then give it a shot but put a time limit on it.

If you can afford it, get into MC if he will go. Otherwise you get into IC.

There are some books that will help you quite a bit.

Start with "Divorce Busing". When you read it pay special attention to the chapter on the 180. (it's not the 180 linked to in my signature block below)

After that read "His Need, Her Needs"

besides his refusal to be affectionate and sexual with you, what complaints does he have about you and your marriage?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do you have children?

We dont have children.

Sometimes after you have children a mans view of his wife makes an abrupt change. He may no longer view you as his lover but as just a mother, like his mother. Granted, you said he started to change before you were married but having children could have amplified it.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Your husband's treatment of you is unacceptable.

If you are done with this then go see an attorney and file for divorce. Do you have children? Do you have a job outside the home?

If you want to try to fix your marriage then give it a shot but put a time limit on it.

If you can afford it, get into MC if he will go. Otherwise you get into IC.

There are some books that will help you quite a bit.

Start with "Divorce Busing". When you read it pay special attention to the chapter on the 180. (it's not the 180 linked to in my signature block below)

After that read "His Need, Her Needs"

besides his refusal to be affectionate and sexual with you, what complaints does he have about you and your marriage?
He tells me I am boring and that I never want to do anything.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Banned
836 Posts
After ten years, he's comfortable. Secure. Doesn't have to try as hard. Committed. And, yes, lazy.

He doesn't feel he has to work that hard at courting you like he did when the beginning of the relationship was new, exciting, things to explore and DO. Now, it's yeah, you know, this is married life.

Well, that sucks. He gave up working to keep a relationship alive and finally, you caved in also.

Ten years. That's eternity yet a drop in the bucket. You BOTH have a responsibility to keep a thriving relationship healthy and happy. You can't do it alone. It does take his participation. Remind each other, every day, what makes your Love special and unique.

Ok, so he wakes you up in the middle of the night. Really, if you think about it in global terms, he STILL wants sex with you. Take it and run with it. Tell him the next morning how relaxed you are, write a note "Last night was great!" Or even start initiating on your own.

You made it ten years. Congrats!

Keep it going...

·
Registered
247 Posts
Ok, so he wakes you up in the middle of the night. Really, if you think about it in global terms, he STILL wants sex with you. Take it and run with it. Tell him the next morning how relaxed you are, write a note "Last night was great!" Or even start initiating on your own.

Keep it going...
Yeah, stick it out another 10 years getting treated no better than a hooker.

·
Banned
836 Posts
Gimme a break.

If that's all you see then the divorce rate should be at 95%.

This marriage is fixable. But it takes work and flexibility.

·
Administrator
44,446 Posts
After ten years, he's comfortable. Secure. Doesn't have to try as hard. Committed. And, yes, lazy.

He doesn't feel he has to work that hard at courting you like he did when the beginning of the relationship was new, exciting, things to explore and DO. Now, it's yeah, you know, this is married life.

Well, that sucks. He gave up working to keep a relationship alive and finally, you caved in also.

Ten years. That's eternity yet a drop in the bucket. You BOTH have a responsibility to keep a thriving relationship healthy and happy. You can't do it alone. It does take his participation. Remind each other, every day, what makes your Love special and unique.

Keep it going...

He does not want to give her pleasure. He wants to use her for sex.

This is an unloving thing to do.

·
Administrator
44,446 Posts
Gimme a break.

If that's all you see then the divorce rate should be at 95%.

This marriage is fixable. But it takes work and flexibility.
How is she supposed to initiate sex if he's told her to not touch him?

How is she supposed to get him to realize that sex is for her too.. not just for him in the middle of the night?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
can you both read the books 'his needs her needs' and the 5 love languages? And how is he in other areas? Does he give you gifts? Does he arrange date nights? Does he talk with you? Does he help with housework? He might be showing love through those.
Posted via Mobile Device
He wants to show me affection by buying me things, but I have told him I don't care about materialistic things. He wants to fix everything with money, when I ask for a massage he tells me he will take me to get one. He won't let me give him one either. We go out to the movies and out to eat a lot. We are good friends, but I also want a husband.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This means something. I don't know what exactly. He does want sex with you; but in this peculiar manner.

Is it a way for him to get off real fast without having to bother with what you might want? So, that's selfishness, plain and simple.

Why is it really exciting for him to wake up in the middle of the night and have sex at odd hours...could you ask him?
He says that's when he is relaxed and rested

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.