Talk About Marriage banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read through many posts lately about separation and how similar stories are to my own, that I wanted to share mine and hopefully get some help to guide me. I'm sorry if this is long, but I wanted to give as much info as I could and I haven't had anyone to vent to about this because I don't want my friends and family to know unless we were getting a divorce. I didn't want to ruin their relationship with my wife because of her actions, but here it goes...

My wife and I have been together 5 and a half years, married 2 and a half. The first 4 years were amazing. I had never been in love with anyone as much as I was/am with my wife. We hardly fought, we had similar goals and ambitions. We shared the load on everything we did (household chores, work, etc). We have a 16 month old daughter together.

She had been slowly getting distant from me when she got buddy buddy with a coworker (actually her superior). In one week, she had sent more texts to him then she did to me in 8 months. I'm not the jealous type, so when she asked me if it annoyed me I said it was fine, I knew my wife wouldn't cheat on me and thinking it was a new friendship it would die off after a while. All the sudden they were going out to do things , she spent an entire day out with him shopping. I started to get worried, wondering why she was spending so much time with him. My wife became more distant. She didn't kiss me hello or goodbye, hug me, tell me she loved me. I've been turned down for sex by my wife for various reasons over the years, but she's never been angry with me for trying to be intimate. My wife had never flat out said "no" to sex or get annoyed when I'd make a move, but one night after going out to drinks with her coworker (and other friends she claimed) she got annoyed with me and rejected me harshly. We went two months without being intimate.

During this time she came home with a new iPhone. Confused, I asked her where she got it. She claimed her friend (not the guy I was talking about earlier) at work upgraded and didn't need it anymore and gave it to her. It had to be the most obviously lie I had ever been told in my life. A little digging and I found out her superior had bought it for her for her birthday. And she had emailed him saying how terrible her birthday was, in which I cooked her dinner and got her a new coach purse she wanted. I also found that they were exchanging sexually suggestive emails and texts and we got in a huge fight and she refused to give the phone back. Also, she refused to admitting he bought it for her even with printed evidence right in her face. I don't get it. I've never yelled at my wife before that night. I felt betrayed and hurt. A phone was worth this much to her? Fine, I allowed it, in denial that maybe, just maybe, they were just friends still. A few days later, I found more evidence to the contrary and she admitted that one night they shared a drunken kiss. I was furious to say the least.

She admitted to claiming she told him all of our marital issues, many of which I didn't even know about, and many of which she couldn't explain. She said she hated being home with me and our child. All of the sudden our plan of buying our house (her dream house) and filling it with children and having a family was not good enough for her. She wanted to go back to school and get a MBA or maybe a doctorate (which I found out later, the guy was constantly criticizing her for not having a better degree) She said she wasn't able to feel love like she used too. Her father left when she was young and blames him for most of her intimacy issues. I always thought my wife was prone to depression or bipolar disease but never went to a doctor. But still, she was confiding in a guy she just met about issues she never made me aware of, and which seemed to center on me loving her more than she loved me back. Even her friends and family would mention how I was too nice to her. I was too confused and angry she had betrayed me but I forgave her, as long as she agreed to stop this relationship immediately. She agreed.

Things went well for a month or two, our sex life came back, but something was always off, she was forcing it. Then I found a note that she had wrote. It was basically a list of ways this coworker makes her feel like well, ****, and how she just wants to please him. He's condescending toward her and all this stuff. Basically, it seemed to me like she is one of those girls who likes to be treated wrong. I confronted her about it. She said she and him got in an argument one day a few weeks back (so she didn't stop their relationship) and she wrote it to tell him. My wife has never done anything like that with me, and I told her maybe if she did come with me with issues maybe we wouldn't be at odds with each other. I told her I couldn't keep getting lied to, it was killing me. She told me she didn't know if she loved me anymore and swore she never had sex outside the marriage, only the one drunken kiss.

I told her that her coworker needs to know that I know everything and it needs to stop because she is still my wife and she may not love me anymore, but at least give me some respect. She agreed, but I took it with a grain of salt. I asked her if she wanted a divorce, she said she's not sure, but wants to separate for a while and I want to try counseling, which she agreed to as well. Our house has a separate apartment with a separate entrance and all, so I moved in there. I've lost a considerable amount of weight from this whole ordeal and don't really eat anymore from the stress. I still very much love my wife and I want try and make it work. I'm thinking she doesn't though, and is just waiting for her coworker to grab her hand before letting go of mine.

I'm a very level headed and caring person. My wife however, has never really been the lovey-dovey type, but had never been as cold as she had been after meeting this other guy. I know if it wasn't a physical affair, its definitely an emotional one, and a strong and messed up one at that. I don't really believe anything my wife says anymore. I don't even know if its worth it to do the separation. I know only I can make that decision, but I wanted some advice or opinions on what to do. My wife agreed to do one-on-one therapy as well, but hasn't attempted to move on it. Over the past year with our issues I've taken up most of the housework on top of my job. Cooking, cleaning, taking care of our child. I'm wondering if the separation will make her realize how much I do for her, and wake up from this fog she's in. What would you do?

·
Registered
406 Posts
Lots of similarities to my story. That's what blows my mind the most about this site. How so many women and do almost the exact same things. It definitely gives credit to the "nice guy" theory.

I truly feel for you Broken. Like I said, much of your story is like listening to myself two months ago (in 5 days).

I would be highly suspicious of your wife's intentions after separating, and it sounds like you are. On the bright side, by this point mine was already driving two hours to see her posOM every weekend, so you might still have some hope of a R.

The hard part is this: by just about everything I've seen, the most successful way to initiate a R is to start the 180. You need to become someone she desires again. Show her the person she feel in love with, but an even better, improved version.

Start working on yourself. You can hope for a R, but prepare for a D. If you focus on you and it ends in a D you will be all set to move on.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lots of similarities to my story. That's what blows my mind the most about this site. How so many women and do almost the exact same things. It definitely gives credit to the "nice guy" theory.

I truly feel for you Broken. Like I said, much of your story is like listening to myself two months ago (in 5 days).

I would be highly suspicious of your wife's intentions after separating, and it sounds like you are. On the bright side, by this point mine was already driving two hours to see her posOM every weekend, so you might still have some hope of a R.

The hard part is this: by just about everything I've seen, the most successful way to initiate a R is to start the 180. You need to become someone she desires again. Show her the person she feel in love with, but an even better, improved version.

Start working on yourself. You can hope for a R, but prepare for a D. If you focus on you and it ends in a D you will be all set to move on.
Thanks Lost, I actually just read your story it is very similar to mine. I'm going to look at this 180 and begin working on it. It sounds like a much better plan then moping around at least!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Your story hits home for me too. My wife is spending New Years with her new 'friend' 1,500 miles away from me and our 3 children. I have been out of the home for a month now, still adjusting. Having the kids over is really tough. Having to tell them that tomorrow mom will be back to pick them up is heartbreaking. My son asks me if I can sleep at his house. I have to try to delicately tell him in a simple way that this new house of mine is also his too. I want him and his sisters to visit as much as possible but have to share that time with mom too. He doesn't quite understand and that hurts too, cause neither do I. All I can do is be the best dad I can be for them. Hope for the best. Look forward to a positive future!
Stay strong! The 180 certainly helps the process, but is still really hard to let it all go.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The story is amazingly similar to mine as well. My husband started hanging out with a co-worker more frequently telling me they were just friends. This was two years ago....I found approximately 1000+ texts per month for several months between the two of them. He said he would stop and it was inappropriate. A few months later he downloaded a free texting application and started texting her again. I busted him again and he cried, etc...He stopped coming home on some nights, became distant towards me, said he has ruined everything beyond repair, we have nothing in common, etc...I did the 180, but it didn't bring him around....he has emotionally checked out with me...Here I am two years later and finally kicked him out of the house and will be filing. It's so hard when you love someone and they turn into someone that you do not even know anymore. I would recommend the 180, but take advice from me...don't wait two years to see if they come around. I should have known better after a few months of the 180. I hope she comes around, and if she does I would demand intense counseling, transparency with phone, and that she must find a job elsewhere.....otherwise, it is bound to continue or at least weigh heavy on you knowing that they are seeing each other at work every day....I'm sorry this is happening to you...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Here's the harsh reality that you need to hear...she's sexually active with him. She doesn't know if she wants a divorce yet because she doesn't know if it'll work out with him and you are her safety net. A drunken kiss? If you believe that, you are naive. You caught her red-handed and she only told you that partial truth so you would back off. You wanted to believe that it was only a kiss because you love her. You are getting played buddy.

Here's my advice (for what it's worth). If you want her back (which I wouldn't, but who am I to judge), you need to get as confident as it gets. Get a gym membership, tan, eat right, laugh more, be funny, and by all means don't get jealous. There is nothing more attractive on this planet than a smiling face. Get one. Make her want you. She wants him because he uses the art of seduction...he one ups her and listens to her. You can do that too, but in a much more seductive way. When she talks, listen...don't judge. Smile, tell jokes, laugh. Be busy as much as you can. Wear cologne, be well groomed, and dress like you stepped out of GQ. Seduction is an art. Study it and you'll have her begging you for sex, not the other way around. Just remember, don't be obvious with your efforts...the key to persuasion is to be covert.

Ask any attractive woman that was in a bad relationship why she viewed it as bad. She'll tell you, "he was jealous, he didn't listen to me, he was boring, he never took me anywhere, everyday was the same, i wasn't attracted to him anymore (because he didn't work out, groom himself well, smell good, smile, etc.), he was jealous, or he was controlling. Don't be that guy.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here's the harsh reality that you need to hear...she's sexually active with him. She doesn't know if she wants a divorce yet because she doesn't know if it'll work out with him and you are her safety net. A drunken kiss? If you believe that, you are naive. You caught her red-handed and she only told you that partial truth so you would back off. You wanted to believe that it was only a kiss because you love her. You are getting played buddy.

Here's my advice (for what it's worth). If you want her back (which I wouldn't, but who am I to judge), you need to get as confident as it gets. Get a gym membership, tan, eat right, laugh more, be funny, and by all means don't get jealous. There is nothing more attractive on this planet than a smiling face. Get one. Make her want you. She wants him because he uses the art of seduction...he one ups her and listens to her. You can do that too, but in a much more seductive way. When she talks, listen...don't judge. Smile, tell jokes, laugh. Be busy as much as you can. Wear cologne, be well groomed, and dress like you stepped out of GQ. Seduction is an art. Study it and you'll have her begging you for sex, not the other way around. Just remember, don't be obvious with your efforts...the key to persuasion is to be covert.

Ask any attractive woman that was in a bad relationship why she viewed it as bad. She'll tell you, "he was jealous, he didn't listen to me, he was boring, he never took me anywhere, everyday was the same, i wasn't attracted to him anymore (because he didn't work out, groom himself well, smell good, smile, etc.), he was jealous, or he was controlling. Don't be that guy.
The only reason I tend to believe her about no further contact other than the kiss is because that's all I have proof of, and how far she goes to deny it to me. Honestly, I almost just want to stumble on something that proves she did it so I can stop feeling so depressed and move on with my life.

I told her when we got together, and later in our marriage, that if I ever caught her having sex with anyone else there would be no question that our relationship in every facet would be over. Obviously, it never will be like that with our daughter in the picture, but we'd never get back together romantically . I think she knows that, and it may be the only reason she hasn't been sexual with him. Plus she claims that if she were going to sleep with someone, it wouldn't be someone she worked with that would ruin her career.

I know, I know, I'm probably being naive and clinging to something that is most likely already dead, but I'm willing to wait for a little while longer to get solid proof. On the bright side, I've started the first few steps of the 180 and its going well. I'm thankful I found this community to get this stuff off my chest.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
This is my view. Stop contact with her. Just cause she seem attracted to this man but it doesn't mean she wants to have a relationship with him.

Cutting off conversations with her other than about your child. Right now she is getting both. She gets you and him. Now she needs to make a choice. You or him.

It hurts.. I did it for 4 months. It gets easier.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This is my view. Stop contact with her. Just cause she seem attracted to this man but it doesn't mean she wants to have a relationship with him.

Cutting off conversations with her other than about your child. Right now she is getting both. She gets you and him. Now she needs to make a choice. You or him.

It hurts.. I did it for 4 months. It gets easier.
I've begun the steps to cease contact with her. I no longer text, email or call her unless I'm responding to something she asked me.

Now the big question, I told her to tell the OM that I know everything (which I'm sure there is a lot I don't know. I need to get a hold of her cell phone which she always has on her and is always locked). And if she didn't tell him that I know, I will. I'm almost positive she agreed to do it because she thinks I won't. Luckily, it was rather easy to find his address, e-mail address, his phone number, and he was dumb enough to send her his work schedule so I know when he works. I'm not really worried about a physical confrontation with this man, as I'm about twice his size, but I don't want to drive my wife further away. I'm going to give her a few more days before I blow the lid off of everything, because I have about one F*** left to give right about now.

·
Registered
93 Posts
My story is similar too. I decided his distant behavior, lack of concern for my feelings, and refusal to set things right was enough. "Don't know, don't care" has become my attitude about whether the EA(s) became PA. That's not how I felt at first, of course, but after a few months of anger, suspicion, etc, I decided the heck with it, I don't want to wonder anymore. Good luck to you with whatever you decide.

·
Registered
3,986 Posts
The only reason I tend to believe her about no further contact other than the kiss is because that's all I have proof of, and how far she goes to deny it to me.
Almost exact same story here too.

The reason she is only admitting to a kiss is that's all you have proof of. Investigate and expose! VAR under her car seat. hack her FB. Get into the phone.

Mine will still only admit to a kiss even though it happened at OM's house where she stayed all night repeatedly and immediately washed her outfit and showered upon coming home. And missed her daughter's award ceremony at school in the process. And she only admitted to kissing AFTER I completed the divorce papers.

Don't believe a word that comes out of her mouth. Believe her actions and your gut!

·
Registered
324 Posts
Yeah, its all bullcrap. Shes cheating in every way. Threaten divorce, then if you get no movement, follow up and do it. Trust me, i just spent a year playing this f*cking game. You are headed for divorce. You have the information. YOU make the choice. TRUST ME PLEASE.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
406 Posts
I'm going to have to agree with most people here. Two months ago I was in the same boat. Go NC, it gets easier from there, but I don't think it brings them back.

That is why it is so important for you to be ok with you. Because that is likely what you'll be for a little while. No more "us". I can tell you from recent experience that if you get yourself right and work on you for a bit, that there are plenty of other fish in the sea... Hopefully some that communicate if they are unhappy and don't cheat.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
You know what got things moving in my relationship? I served her with papers then stopped all conversation.

From now on only use e-mail as your method of conversation. Start documenting on a calendar everything she has said and when. You will need this in court.

Call her bluff. Once she sees your serious you will get her attention.

·
Registered
3,986 Posts
Get the book "Not Just Friends".

My stbxw never said a word about our marriage being in trouble until she was having an affair. She claims she "tried" but all she had to do was say words like "marriage in trouble" and she would've had my undivided attention.

Only thing I got were complaints that when she crawled into bed at 5am I would roll over in my sleep instead of snuggling or putting the moves on her. NOW she says this was proof to her that I do not love her. She wouldn't listen to me when I said I'd rather be intimate when I'm not sleeping. Funny how this was proof for her, but only because it was when SHE wanted it. Now she says that for years when I wanted it she just did it out of duty. Nevermind the fact that she's a nympho and we've actually had an excellent sex life for the last 10 years... well until she met OM. Then it deteriorated completely in the span of weeks.

During the affair they are completely out of touch with reality. They feel guilt and shame for what they are doing and so feel unlovable. And if they feel unlovable then you must not love them. And if you do not love them then you must never have loved them. So the marriage was horrible the entire time and they never felt love from you. And that means you pushed them into an affair and it's all your fault. Therefore you deserve to be treated this way and they deserve to be loved by OM. And then they feel dirty and the circular thought process repeats.

...until YOU break it by doing 180, exposing affair to all, and filing if necessary. You will get a response if you do this. Sometimes it brings them back, sometimes it doesn't. But it helps YOU.

Focus on what you NEED out of life, not who or what you want.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Seems to be a reoccurring theme. Wife grows bored and instead of working with husband to fix things she goes somewhere else to talk things out with a stranger and then naturally acquires feelings for them.

All I can say is good luck to you. Most all advice will be no contact, do the 180.

My stbxw never said a word about our marriage being in trouble until she was having an affair. She claims she "tried" but all she had to do was say words like "marriage in trouble" and she would've had my undivided attention.

Only thing I got were complaints that when she crawled into bed at 5am I would roll over in my sleep instead of snuggling or putting the moves on her. NOW she says this was proof to her that I do not love her. She wouldn't listen to me when I said I'd rather be intimate when I'm not sleeping. Funny how this was proof for her, but only because it was when SHE wanted it. Now she says that for years when I wanted it she just did it out of duty. Nevermind the fact that she's a nympho and we've actually had an excellent sex life for the last 10 years... well until she met OM. Then it deteriorated completely in the span of weeks..
She saw proof everywhere you didn't love her because she wanted to see it. I think when our wives met someone else they immediately looked for things that bothered them as 'evidence' their husbands didn't love them. So therefore it was ok to go have a affair or connect with someone else, because they are so 'unloved' in their marriage.

Makes me sick to my stomach. My wife did all of that and the whole rewriting history thing and claiming she hasn't felt loved in a long time. Etc. It doesn't matter if you can easily remember recent times that you know she was happy in love. She's convinced herself otherwise and is actively trying to remember all the ways you wronged her and forget any of the good times.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Again, sorry if this is long, need to vent.

Hit another bump in the road last night. I found out that she bought OM an expensive Christmas gift. We share a bank account, did she think I wasn't going to find out? Anyways, she immediately canceled the order without my input. I still saw red, and I confronted her about it. She said the only reason she did it was because he bought something for her, but said she wasn't going to accept it. (BS, she wouldn't have bought him a gift had she not or was not going to accept his gift to her).

I'm not trying to be cynical about her actions, but I've been lied to so many times by now that I don't believe a single thing she says. We had a long discussion about OM, and how he apparently, according to her, says inappropriate things to all his married friends and coworkers and buys them all gifts too (BS). Even if its true, why someone hasn't stood up to this hobbit is beyond me. I told her that her relationship was hurting me and she didn't care, and that he has shown zero respect for me or our marriage.

She agreed last week to tell him that I know about their EA, or whatever it is, and she still hadn't because she was waiting to tell him in person. I told her I can't make any promises I won't confront him for before she does. She asked what if she ends her relationship with OM and then our marriage still fails, and I said I'd be fine with it, and she longer has the choice of being married to me or being "friends" with him, its over with one of us. She claims I'm only focusing on a small part of our marriage troubles, but its a huge one for me, and that my main focus should be on why she views me as a just a good friend instead of her husband. I'm tired of it. Who gets friendzoned by his own wife??

Our marriage is in a one step forward, two steps backward phase. She actually was happy to talk to me yesterday, then even had me over for dinner. I didn't push any issues or try to kiss, hug, or do anything else. I didn't even stay as long as I wanted. After dinner I played with my daughter some and left. Then she spends over a hundred dollars for a gift for OM? She agreed something is wrong with her, and to go to MC, and hopefully IC as well. I would take that as a small win, but I just can't. I really do think she suffers from a bipolar disorder, but my biggest fear is that she is in fine mental health and I fell in love with a horrible person, what does that say about me? I'm so tired, so dragged down, I hate who I've become, and I hate the direction my life has turned. All i want is some proof one way or the other that my wife really does love me or she had a PA (unforgiveable) with OM so I can get out of this fog.

I just don't get it. I can understand why there is a book called "Everything We Know About Women" and it is full with hundreds of blank pages.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
STOP TALKING TO HER. You are making it worse.

How can she miss you if you don't go away. Since you are there she has nothing to miss.

Go to the bank and get your own bank account. Tell your bank manager that you are split from your wife and you need to protect yourself. DO THIS NOW.

Tell her to get her own account and that the joint account is only for what NEEDS to be in there to cover bills.

You need to stop catering to her self esteem. Leave her alone and let her dig her own hole.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
At this point, does it really matter to you if there was more than a kiss? You know she's lied to you multiple times. She knows how you feel, and purposely wasted opportunities to end things with him. Example: he got her an expensive Christmas gift after she knew how you felt. She should have given it back, and said, I don't think it's appropriate for me to accept this from you. I'm married, and while my H and I are having a difficult time right now, I respect him and we are trying to work on things. Period. End of discussion. If she (just playing devil's advocate here) felt she couldn't go against him without it affecting her job, she needs to either file a harassment claim against him, or find another job (preferably the latter as it gets her away from him).

From the little you've said, I don't know what makes you believe she's bipolar. Not to say she doesn't have some form of depression, or even a mid-life crisis, but not so sure about bipolar.

It's unfortunate, but once the spouse (male or female) has convinced him/herself that you are the cause of the unhappiness s/he feels, there is really nothing the other spouse can do to convince him/her otherwise. The emotional disconnect has happened. It takes a lot of work to get it back, and it's not as exciting as the thrill of a new relationship. These breakups almost always happen during times of stress, or when the relationship hits that phase when the infatuation is over and the 'comfortable' love begins. Someone who helps them escape from the stress, and/or gets the endorphins running again is always easier to deal with than the hard work of counseling, recognizing faults, making changes, etc. It's sad, but true.

And it's especially hard when the BS is someone who would work on things, who does recognize their own part in things, and wants to create something better.

The only thing left to us is to take that desire and put it towards working on ourselves. It isn't time or energy wasted. Self-improvement is always good, whether one is in a relationship or not, or a parent or not. Even going through the pain we have been through can make us more compassionate people if we do this right.

It's a hard, painful slog sometimes. It may even seem like the WS is getting what they want while you're suffering. But if they are not changing, they will end up in the same place again, eventually. You, hopefully, will be in a better one. If for no other reason than you are not a part of their drama anymore. Lack of drama isn't the same as happiness, but it's nothing to sneeze at. ;)

Sorry you've had to join us here at the Island of Misfit Spouses, BD77, but we understand. My H had multiple EAs, and I tried to understand and forgive and blame myself through all of them. I got the ILYBINILWY speech anyway. It's taken a long time to get to the final end of our legal marriage, but I can finally see that it should have ended a long time ago. I should have been better to myself and ended it first -- during the first EA. When you're outside of this for a while, BD77, you just might say the same thing. You gave her a lot of chances, and she failed you on all of them.

Forgive yourself for your part in things, work to be the best dad that you can be to your daughter, and be the best you can be to yourself.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It ended today. I told my wife I was divorcing her. I found out everything I need to know from her text messages. Worse than I could ever imagine. I saved them all and printed off her emails with this scum OM so I could have them if needed for divorce and parenting purposes.

I've known about it for a long time, but couldn't, or didn't want, to believe that it was as horrible as this. Had she admitted her mistake a long time ago, there could have been some hope for us, but not anymore. No remorse. The second I called her at work, and told her the D word, she started bawling, asking me not to leave and she thought we were going to try counseling, and she didn't want to lose me or my daughter. I told her she had her chance, and she should of thought of that a long time ago and its over. I also called the OM and told him I hope he was happy with destroying my family and to burn in hell. I actually felt much better after standing up for myself.

I didn't cry a single time today, I did get mad and shattered a picture of us from when we first started dating (whoops) but I'm done with this. All that matters is my daughter and myself from now on. I want to thank you all for your help and advice. I'm relieved in a way, that now I know the truth and can move on, nothing is holding me back anymore. I no longer love or respect my wife. Try as she will, there is no turning back from here, there is no future with us.

I have to look on the bright side, I have a beautiful daughter, and I'm young and healthy and I have a family that has showered me with love and sympathy since I found this all out. I had clarity when I was speaking with them and told them not to let me fall back into anything with her. I know the future is still rough sailing ahead. But I'm ready to smile again and move on.

Only one more thing I need to get advice on. The both work for a catholic hospital. There is a hotline to call if employees are violating the company's and catholic policies. I don't think they'd really like if their employees are engaging in extra-marital affairs. Should I report them? I'm really mad right now and I'm sure I should take a minute to calm myself more before trying to get that POS OM fired.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.