Talk About Marriage banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the subject of movies where adultery is the theme or part of the plot, comes up here on TAM every so often. I've seen several and each movie, to me, explores a different aspect of infidelity:

1) Unfaithful shows the intensity of an affair
2) Take This Waltz shows emotionally how one descends into an affair.
3) Asylum shows the effects cheating can have on your psyche
4)Adulterers is one of many that shows the consequences of an affair

I just watched Adulterers (2015) online and I seriously need to go lie down somewhere. Major, major triggers. Just google, "adulterers 2015 watch online". I don't know if many have seen it but it's based on a true story. A man comes home early to celebrate his wedding anniversary with his wife. He walks in on her getting railed by another man. They don't see him so he goes and gets his guns and surprises them. He holds them both at gunpoint naked in the room. This is all within the first 10 minutes. The rest of the movie is him going through every emotion in the book and grilling them. The stuff you hear regularly here on TAM, both from WS and BS, they go through all of it with several twists and turns thrown in.

I would like to hear your take on this movie as well as any other movie you've seen dealing with the subject. Did you learn anything from it? If you reconciled with your spouse, did they have an "aha" moment? Did any movie change your perspective on infidelity?

·
Registered
10,815 Posts
Granted ....hanging out here at TAM ....I read a lot of things I wish I could un-read, but atleast I can reply and post my thoughts.

When watching this kind of thing on TV....well I cant interject.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've only seen the movie Unfaithful out of the ones you mentioned, I think they made the idea to be sexy and attractive, mainly off the cheat scenes and the actors doing it but also showed consequences and guilt as well. But seemed glamourised ( is that even a word?).

·
Registered
16,640 Posts
Having lived and survived two absolutely horrendous infidelic marriages, let's just say that I'd rather have my toenails pulled out through my a$$ rather than to see one of those infidelity movies and to possibly "trigger!"

Call me a coward if you must, but I just do not want to go there again!

Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
53 Posts
I've seen in the last time two TV mini series :
Doctor Foster and The Beautiful Lie.
I liked both series because the unfaithful partners got what they deserved in both of them.

·
Registered
12,015 Posts
"A Perfect Man" is terrible. Everything about how infidelity is processed in the marriage is wrong. Maybe it could be viewed as a modern tragedy, with the betrayed wife creating the "Perfect Train Wreck". Maybe the plot is based on the theory that serial cheaters are redeemable good people who will make a good spouse if only the betrayed works hard to be a better more understanding spouse.

The acting was believable but the plot was such crap it isn't worth watching.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I know the subject of movies where adultery is the theme or part of the plot, comes up here on TAM every so often. I've seen several and each movie, to me, explores a different aspect of infidelity:

I just watched Adulterers (2015) online and I seriously need to go lie down somewhere. Major, major triggers. Just google, "adulterers 2015 watch online". I don't know if many have seen it but it's based on a true story. A man comes home early to celebrate his wedding anniversary with his wife. He walks in on her getting railed by another man. They don't see him so he goes and gets his guns and surprises them. He holds them both at gunpoint naked in the room. This is all within the first 10 minutes. The rest of the movie is him going through every emotion in the book and grilling them. The stuff you hear regularly here on TAM, both from WS and BS, they go through all of it with several twists and turns thrown in.

I would like to hear your take on this movie as well as any other movie you've seen dealing with the subject. Did you learn anything from it? If you reconciled with your spouse, did they have an "aha" moment? Did any movie change your perspective on infidelity?
Before my H's affair, I really enjoyed the movie "Waitress", with Keri Russell. Kind of dark comedy about a young woman in an abusive relationship, who seeks solace in an affair with her obstetrician when she gets pregnant. They portrayed the relationship between Keri Russell's character and her doctor so sweetly, and you felt she deserved happiness because of what a jerk her husband was.

But they totally glossed over how the doctor had a loving wife (they showed her briefly toward the end of the movie), and how her life is now destroyed whether she ever finds out or not.

After my D-day for me, 3.5 years ago, if I ever come across that movie on cable or On Demand, I can't even watch it.

Like others have posted, I wouldn't even attempt to watch the movies in OP's original list!

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
"Phaedra" - with Anthony Perkins and Melina Mercouri. Of course it also involves quasi incest and suicide.

·
Registered
89 Posts

I saw this one years ago, it was pretty decent. Had a fairly realistic(IMO) portrayal of the typical WW affair, but the ending, while enjoyable to see somebody get their just desserts, kinda ruined the realism element that they seemed to be going for.

Never watched this one.

Nor this one.

I watched the trailer for this one based on your recommendation and I couldn't even make it all the way through that. :wtf: More "cultural engineering" from the usual suspects.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts

I can't stomach to watch it. Please spare me that and tell me how it ended. Did he get even ?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
(((Spoiler Alert)))

I can't stomach to watch it. Please spare me that and tell me how it ended. Did he get even ?
OK. I'll give you a synopsis. Just be forewarned there are spoilers ahead if you wanted to watch it.

A guy from New Orleans calls his wife to wish her a happy 1 year anniversary but also to tell her he has to pull a double shift so he won't be there till late. It's established that they are totally in love.

He gets a reprieve and comes home at lunch time with flowers and candy. He doesn't notice at first but realizes she's home. He walks upstairs and hears them before he gets to the door....opens it and there they are.

They're so caught up, they don't even notice him. He goes back downstairs going through every emotion in the book. He grabs 2 revolvers and goes back up. He kicks in the door and startles both of them. They both give them apologies and plead for their life. He kills them both.

The film then reboots:

He goes back downstairs and starts drinking. Half-drunk he goes back upstairs where they are still screwing. He busts in the door again, but this time instead of shooting them, he barricades the door and hold them hostage for hours.

This all happens in the first 10 minutes of the movie. For the rest of the movie, he threatens them, interrogates them, gets all the excuses you hear here on TAM. In fact, they explore every situation you frequently hear. He calls her every name in the book, makes her perform a sex act on the other man (who happens by the way to be black) He finds out the other guy is also married, with a child and one on the way.

At some point, the OMs wife calls and the husband makes the OM tell her what he did. The other wife yells at him, then asks to talk to the betrayed husband off speaker phone. After the call, the husband continues finding out stuff about both his wife and the OM. At some point, there is a knock at the door. It's the other wife. She comes in, listens to the OM apologize, then turns to the husband, takes off his pants, and bends over the bed for him. With the cheating wife and the OM freaking out, he takes the OMs wife right in front of them. She then tells the husband she doesn't care what happens to the OM, she's done with him and leaves.

After that the wife breaks down and starts recounting her childhood and how she was sexually abused. One aspect I forgot to mention is when the husband firs started asking questions, ,he wound up a metronome and said when it stopped, he was killing them both.

It stopped.

He pointed the gun at the OM. As he pulled the trigger, the camera cuts to a very cute black girl who worked with the husband. She showed up knocking on the door at the house worried because he didn't come back to work. It's established in the beginning of the film, she had been trying to flirt with him apparently for a while but he was so in love with his wife, he didn't go there.

The next shot is the husband sitting on the couch downstairs as his wife starts eating her chocolates and enjoying her flowers. You can't help but notice the feet of the dead OM next to her on the floor. Next he's outside shoveling dirt; his wife sitting pretty on the porch watching him. He looks up several times and smiles at her. The last time he looks up, she's not there. He looks down at the shovel and you see part of her garment laying on the ground.

Remember the last scene of The Usual Suspects where the detective realizes the guy was making stuff up. The last scene here does the same thing. It revisits past conversations as he slowly realizes he actually killed them like it happened initially. The entire thing was in his head.

At the beginning of the movie, it's established that this is based on a true story.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Can't believe no one mentioned this one: "A Walk on the Moon" from 1999, three years before Unfaithful with Diane Lane again playing the unfaithful one. Diane Lane, Viggo Mortenson, Liev Schreiber, Anna Paquin.

I thought the performances were good but that the story was incomplete.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
I is s to watch the tv show the affair with the wife. Ironic methinks. I always get anxiety over cheating in movies. Not that I don't like it, I mean, watching the movie, but I get major anxiety. She even knew it.
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 20 of 113 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.