Talk About Marriage banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don’t exactly know what I am looking for because I am new and ignorant about the subject. All I know is that I love doing puzzles, and 3D puzzles, and building things like adult LEGO sets. I just don’t know what else fun things are out there for me to get Into and I was wondering if anyone who is into this stuff can help me.

For example... I saw frank underwood from house of cards build a replica of some war something. I have no idea what it was but I could tell I would love to do something similar. I just don’t know what it is.

I also see there are coding games out there.

I am nerdy and love learning and I know there are a million fun things I can get into and learn.

Sorry for the confusing posts but I would love to hear what cool engineering things I can learn and “play with”.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
I agree with @Cletus - Arduino is a very good starting place. The tools are simple, easy to use, and having my first Arduino experience after 30 years of being a "codie" - I found the compiler strict enough to produce clean code, but not with unwarranted copious output.

Someone (or team) thought this product through very well.

This are two more vendors supporting hobbyist activity with Arduino and other manufacturers:

HERE

AND HERE

Both of these resellers have lots of reference documentation, code snippets, application notes which can be quite helpful on their websites. It's worthwhile to pay a couple bucks an item more than Amazon who offers the equipment at a low price but is geared toward those who know specifically what they want.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Engineering is a very broad field. There are many different types of engineering with the common denominator using math to solve problems. What type of engineering interests you? Computers, mechanical, bio, electrical, building structures?

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
The best models are the ones you make your own parts for. But I'm a woodworker, so I tend to think that way.

·
Registered
7,990 Posts
For computer games, Kerbal space program is the closest I've seen to real engineering in a game. There is also a "realism" add-on that is painfully accurate about just how difficult it is to design rockets.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Have you ever done tabletop gaming? Some of the games are the type where you make your own models and playfield and then play against other people. You might find it enjoyable because you get to make stuff and then playing the game requires a lot of analytical thought. Typically places like comic and game stores have times where people come and play. Look up the ones in your area and go visit when they are having an event. The players are typically very friendly and would be happy to show you how it all works.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts