Talk About Marriage banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On June 29, Somerville, MA quietly became one of the first cities in the nation – if not the first – to recognize polyamorous domestic partnerships.

The historic move was a result of a few subtle language shifts. For example, instead of being defined as an “entity formed by two persons,” Somerville’s ordinance defines a domestic partnership as an “entity formed by people,” replaces “he and she” with “they,” replaces “both” with “all,” and contains other inclusive language.

I think this is a positive step, although still very limited by the nature of domestic partnership law. What are your opinions about this?

Reactions: Personal

·
Registered
8,419 Posts

• Haha
Reactions: Chaotic

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
I'm not sure what it means for the government to recognize poly relationships...why does it matter, as long as society does?

Is it for the legal protections or tax breaks? Or just to feel legitimate?

·
Registered
13,958 Posts
I'm not sure what it means for the government to recognize poly relationships...why does it matter, as long as society does?

Is it for the legal protections or tax breaks? Or just to feel legitimate?
Not sure that much of society does.

·
Premium Member
1,213 Posts
I'm not sure how a 1+ year old thread came back. Anyway, this is just "progressive" ridiculousness. I think it was just someone in that town pandering to some constituency. They said it was to help extended medical insurance coverage. Problem is, there is nothing that will make private companies agree to that.

·
Premium Member
7,613 Posts
On June 29, Somerville, MA quietly became one of the first cities in the nation – if not the first – to recognize polyamorous domestic partnerships.

The historic move was a result of a few subtle language shifts. For example, instead of being defined as an “entity formed by two persons,” Somerville’s ordinance defines a domestic partnership as an “entity formed by people,” replaces “he and she” with “they,” replaces “both” with “all,” and contains other inclusive language.

I think this is a positive step, although still very limited by the nature of domestic partnership law. What are your opinions about this?
As much trouble as a marriage between two people is, I can't fathom why anyone would want to take vows with even more....

·
Registered
13,958 Posts
There is nothing quite as biblical as polygamy.
God permitted on occasions although it was never his intention or desire as Genesis says, but for Christians it's a no no.
The Bible says 'let each man have his own wife and let each woman have her own husband'.

·
Premium Member
7,613 Posts
That's a lot of trackers to manage. The guy will be sitting all day like a security guard scanning for runners. I'd sure as hell be running.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts