Talk About Marriage banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here is the background, my wife and I had been out for a walk and decided on a little impromptu late lunch. Not long after our meals were served served a piece of red pepper fell from my fork onto the floor ( I don't know if it is worth mentioning, but I like red peppers and the floor was a polished brick/tile). I didn't think much about it and went on eating my lunch, conversing with my wife. When lunch was over, waiting for the cheque my wife asked if I had picked up/cleaned up my mess. I answered that I had not. I need to add that sometime between the time the piece of pepper fell and when I was getting the cheque that I inadvertently stepped on the pepper, mashing it into the polished brick/tile floor. Things went downhill from there. She claimed that I had no concern about the people who would eventually have to clean up my mess and furthermore, I should have cleaned up the mess that I made. My opinion; although I fully agree that the piece of pepper fell from my fork, it was an accident (I wasn't playing around with my food) and that the restaurant does have people who can deal with this a lot easier, with the proper cleaning aids and possibly more graceful than I would have done.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well, her getting on you about it is a bit over the top, but if I'm out eating, or we have our kids out, we always pick up any messes dropped, stack dishes, wipe stuff off the tables. Then again, if I am in a public restroom washing my hands, I'll use paper towels to wipe up the sink area of water, and pick up other peoples discarded towels. If we all took 3 seconds extra, the world would be a much more pleasant place, ya know?

·
Registered
4,291 Posts
Thanks for the laugh.

You have quite a way with words. I like red peppers too, the green ones however leave me cold.

·
Registered
8,409 Posts
I worked in fast food in college.

There was a family from an ethnic background I won't divulge who would come in to our restaurant and basically set off a bomb in their meals. Food everywhere - on the table, windows, floor, seats, you name it.

Now a single pepper isn't in the same ballpark, but I am personally trained to wipe the table and pick up anything I dropped on the floor before I leave as a courtesy.

Everyone's mileage varies.

·
Administrator
45,141 Posts
The restaurant has staff paid to clean up after dinners leave the table.

She had a huge over reaction. She's not your mommy.

·
Registered
6,617 Posts
Well if she or someone close to her has or is working as staff that cleans up I can understand where she is comming from. In fact I am much the same way with my spouse. Although there is staff to clean up any messes its just polite to show them some courtesy and make thier jobs a bit easier. They are people too and just because they are trained to clean up doesnt mean that is an excuse for customers to be slobs or be sloppy.

Sure it may have been one pepper to you but I am betting she had a problem with your attitide about it, not the pepper.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
I don't recall going into any restaurants that have signs saying:

"Your mother does not work here-You will have to pick up after yourself".

·
Registered
6,617 Posts
Lol neither have I but I am sure his wifes issue isnt about an accidental drop of a pepper. Public restrooms dont have that sign either but I dont feel that entitles people to pee all over the floors, wipe shyt on the walls, throw toilet paper all over the place, ect. His wife may feel the same way and who knows. It may be that he did something more then drop a pepper on the ground in the past that caused her to be aggrivated with him.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
It really depends on the kind of place it is. Some places don't want their patrons cleaning stuff up from the floor. Like if you only had a cloth napkin, NO WAY should you be using it to clean the floor. Don't even go there. DO apologize for your mishap and leave a couple bucks extra tip. If the food was good you can mention how disappointed you are that even one morsel escaped you. :)

If it's a casual place and it seems as though the pepper wouldn't be cleaned up or even noticed, yes, clean it up with a paper napkin so that the next person who comes along doesn't step on it.

It's bad manners to ruin a good meal with a close friend (or husband) by making an issue of such a thing. I can't understand someone who argues at a table that is meant for nourishing body and soul. If it bothered her and you weren't going to clean it up, the correct response is to keep her feeling to herself but to personally honor them by saying, enthusiastically, "Then allow me! Please sir, would you be so kind as to rearrange your feet so that I may clean up the spoils or your splendid repast?" While she's under the table she could give you a grope. lol.

·
Registered
6,617 Posts
Pffft at the last part lmao. That is something to think about though as well. Of course I never been to a resturaunt that would be offended if you cleaned up a mess though...
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
8,409 Posts
Lol neither have I but I am sure his wifes issue isnt about an accidental drop of a pepper. Public restrooms dont have that sign either but I dont feel that entitles people to pee all over the floors, wipe shyt on the walls, throw toilet paper all over the place, ect. His wife may feel the same way and who knows. It may be that he did something more then drop a pepper on the ground in the past that caused her to be aggrivated with him.
Posted via Mobile Device
Yeah, this place is notorious for extrapolating from one poster's description of a single event. I'm surprised someone hasn't diagnosed BPD in the wife yet and suggested meds to solve her problem.

Reactions: Blonde

·
Registered
611 Posts
From the table yes, the floor no. But we also tip 20%.

·
Registered
6,617 Posts
Lol @ the cheating thing.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
Honestly, I thought you were going to say you picked it up and ate it, and then she didn't want you to go down on her.

The guy I dated during the summer would be a prude like that. The funny thing is, his house was an environmental nightmare, but he was super cautious about his health, out of respect for him, I won't describe his personal habits, but some of them were a little extreme.

·
Registered
6,871 Posts
I wonder if his W would feel better if he took the dishes to the kitchen and scrubbed off whatever bits of food and sauce were still on the plates before handing it to the dishwasher. Maybe he could have offered to wet mop the floors after.

It's a restaurant, you are paying for service.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.