Talk About Marriage banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Might as well throw another stereotype into the mix.

Been pondering this one. I know a lot of omega males. Geeks mostly. Extraordinarily unsure of themselves with the opposite sex which they pass off as indifference. Lots of man-children, and lots of them working in IT.

Generally affable, but with a small cadre of close friends. Neither seek nor want attention, or achievement ... and frame it as choosing their own sense of freedom.

Don't mean for this to come of as sounding condescending. But I'm pretty sure most people know a guy or guys like this. They don't much adhere to the social structure, and most certainly don't want to be part of it.

5 Signs You Are An Omega Male - AskMen

·
Registered
10,221 Posts
:rofl: Sounds like my ex.

ETA: That is EXACTLY my ex. Plus narcissistic. :rofl: :rofl:

·
Registered
319 Posts
All this greek stuff. Omega male sounds like the guy who was never asked to pledge the other two fraternaties - Alpha Kappa Alpha, and Beta Alpha Kappa.

·
Super Moderator
8,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
:rofl: Sounds like my ex.

ETA: That is EXACTLY my ex. Plus narcissistic. :rofl: :rofl:
Narcissistic (but not truly Narcissism) would actually make sense in some cases. It's an easy deflection mechanism to justify avoidance with a particular social group.

Have dated two women whose exes were NPD. Those dude's are full on freak-shows. They NEED social groups ... to cater to their ego.

Tucker Max for instance ... definite NPD.

·
Registered
10,221 Posts
My ex is 38, living with mom in a studio apartment, trying to be a "rockstar", no job, no responsibility as he moved 2 states away and no steady girlfriends. Forever 14. Pathetic and comical. Yuck.

·
Registered
10,221 Posts
Sad thing, when we were together, he was 26, making 120K, had an awesome gf (me), a beautiful child and life looked perfect on paper. NEITHER of us were happy ;)

·
Registered
13,839 Posts
The good: first time on TAM I can't remotely relate to a Greek letter.

The better: thank you W, see above. I fear that could have been me, probably not, but could have been.

The unsure: Is it wrong that I like Arcade Fire, Death Cab and Amanda Palmer?

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
The guy who contacted me on behalf of my ex probably would fit the label. He's pretty bright and the kind of guy you might get ahold of to help you with an electronics issue. He's never been married and not sure he's ever had a steady date.
Of course he was familiar with everybody who lived in my former town and after seeing what goes on in some of the relationships there, probably wouldn't figure chancing marriage would be worth the grief. Who's to say he isn't right?

·
Registered
9,668 Posts
Might as well throw another stereotype into the mix.

Been pondering this one. I know a lot of omega males. Geeks mostly. Extraordinarily unsure of themselves with the opposite sex which they pass off as indifference. Lots of man-children, and lots of them working in IT.

Generally affable, but with a small cadre of close friends. Neither seek nor want attention, or achievement ... and frame it as choosing their own sense of freedom.

Don't mean for this to come of as sounding condescending. But I'm pretty sure most people know a guy or guys like this. They don't much adhere to the social structure, and most certainly don't want to be part of it.

5 Signs You Are An Omega Male - AskMen
Yes, I can think of a few for sure.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Something wrong wit Omega males per se? I don't have friends and I am not particularly adept at playing office politics. Sounds like bad-dating/marriage material.

·
Super Moderator
8,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No, I don't think there is anything wrong Omega males per se. Same as I don't inherently believe there is anything wrong with being Alpha or Beta ... unless you want things from your life that require you to modify your Greek letter.

In terms of dating, I agree, Omega males aren't part of the competition pool. I have a friend who is an Omega. He's terrified of women. Always has been. Never been in a LTR, but of course has female friends. He now looks around at all of his friends failed marriages, and sees his choice to avoid that kind of pain as validating.

·
Banned
0 Posts
Narcissistic (but not truly Narcissism)
Agressively insecure and self-centered, more likely.

But man, "omega" guys are actually socially impaired. I still don't like this classification, though.
It's like classfying men into c*ck length groups.
What's the difference between saying a grenade and a milf, or alpha and beta (and now omega).
A s*itty spouse is a s*itty spouse no matter how ranked he is on social success.

·
Super Moderator
8,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Agressively insecure and self-centered, more likely.

But man, "omega" guys are actually socially impaired. I still don't like this classification, though.
Completely agree about being socially aware. It isn't so much about sticking everyone in a box for me. But, I do find social dynamics very interesting. Guess I was actually framing guys who fall into this dynamic of having very poor chances of conducting a successful marriage unless they choose to 'step up'.

Have seen that too. Know plenty of dudes who were 'Man-children' well into their thirties. Met a woman, fell in love, and completely changed how they conduct their life. And their friends? Usually blamed the woman for the reason that their old buddy had turned traitor.

Interesting stuff. I'm certainly not looking to make derogatory statements about guys that play video games, or live in their parents basement ... but, as they say, stereotypes exist for a reason.

·
Banned
5,402 Posts
An omega male likes to think he’s marching to the beat of his own drum, but the reality is he just can’t keep time with everybody else. While we don’t want to advocate conformity, we do think there are certain facts of life that every guy has to recognize. Being a man means engaging with the world as it really is.

That's my ex. When we were in college it was cute and endearing. Oh look, he goes data without shaving, he wears shirts inside out, he lets his friends cut his hair! He refuses to confirm, how artistic and special. When you are 40 and still doing that crap and still living in your same college town, and your life revolves around D&D, sci fi, and computer programming something is off.
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 20 of 74 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.