Talk About Marriage banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4,273 Posts
It was his promise to me before we got married.
In writing, signed by a judge, and filed with the appropriate county? If there is a legal agreement stating he would will his property to you, that is one thing. If he never made any such promise legally, well, why would you believe him? After the prenup you should know to get it in writing and signed by a judge or it doesn't count.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
No my children

OK, let me understand this.

You both keep your finances separate.

You're leaving everything to YOUR kids, not him or his daughter.

However, you're upset that he's not leaving the house to you or your kids, but rather to his daughter.

You signed a 12-page prenup. If the house is NOT in the prenup, then you legally agreed that it would go to his daughter, in essence, by the terms of the prenup.
If the prenup says, however, that the house DOES go to you upon death, then you have legal recourse by his violation of the prenup.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I guess looking at just this number I see where everyone seems to be going.... I have been with my husband through 6 years of sexual addiction, held him together when his life seemed hopeless. I helped raise his daughter, where her mother was absent. She didn’t even drop her off at college, family weekend, rush, shopping for rush, teaching her the small things in life, how to make Mac and cheese! This home is a fraction of his estate, small even by his family’s words....he promised me this home for all that I meant and stand for in his life...his true family. I never asked for anything, married him because I love him.

I guess I have no right...

·
Premium Member
5,408 Posts
I could be totally wrong - as I said before, I don't know you. But only a very specific kind of person gets involved with an addict. :(

If I were you, I'd go talk to a therapist who specializes in codependant relationships, and I'd find a lawyer.

I really do wish you the best, and I'm sorry for all your pain.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Thank you, I do see a therapist....my husband is 7 years in the program and leads the new members group. I know who I am and who he is, that doesn’t mean our feelings don’t get hurt

·
Registered
4,273 Posts
I guess looking at just this number I see where everyone seems to be going.... I have been with my husband through 6 years of sexual addiction, held him together when his life seemed hopeless. I helped raise his daughter, where her mother was absent. She didn’t even drop her off at college, family weekend, rush, shopping for rush, teaching her the small things in life, how to make Mac and cheese! This home is a fraction of his estate, small even by his family’s words....he promised me this home for all that I meant and stand for in his life...his true family. I never asked for anything, married him because I love him.

No, you don't. You have no right to anything that belongs to him. By having a 12 page prenup, you agreed that you have no right to your spouses property unless it's specifically spelled out in the prenup. Whatever you've done for him and his daughter you did of your own free will and shouldn't expect compensation in terms of money or property unless it was listed in the prenup.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts