Talk About Marriage banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
925 Posts
Wow!

My husband and I love to travel! We would be on cloud 9 talking to the hostess! For 2 weeks? That's exactly what I need right this minute!!

You shouldn't agreed to go in the first place. No one likes the party pooper while traveling!!

You can't handle social interactions and now I'm sure you've spoiled their vacation.

Stay in your hotel alone. Let them know it's not them the problem, it's you that feels overwhelmed with all the social interaction going on.

Tell them to have fun and enjoy their time.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
I think I might have done the same thing as you. Bold move just ditching them, taking a vacation from the vacation. 2 week vacation in a small B&B with people I need to entertain, no thanks. I do not think it was reasonable for your wife to expect you to deal with that for 2 weeks. A few days would be reasonable 2 weeks no very selfish of your wife IMO.

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
OP, you're clearly more introverted than either your wife or this other couple.

I'm just wondering why you're so afraid of your wife and her threats that you agreed to something you clearly didn't want to do? And why she doesn't know, and respect, you well enough to not try and push you into this sort of thing in the first place?

·
Registered
15,748 Posts
Well, you did communicate your reluctance and she not only ignored you but proceeded to make the situation worse once you got there.

It is possible she is trying to change/shape you in a direction she thinks you need to grow in and may believe she is doing it for your own good.

Regardless of her motives, she treated you and your desires and needs second and third to others on your vacation and I wouldn't stand for it either.

Do you feel respected or loved by any of this?

·
Registered
15,748 Posts
She threatened divorce and even claimed she had an 'affair' arranged and would act on it.
Full stop.

Did she threaten infidelity for your reluctance to go with these people or was this another time?

Describe the situation she said that. Has she threatened infidelity on more than one occasion?

I personally would have kicked her skank ass onto the street with a $2 sign superglued to her butt.

She clearly has no class and serious problems.

·
Registered
925 Posts
YOUR sensibilities are fine for YOU. We are all different. I agree, I should not have given in and gone with them on my vacation. BTW I told them just that, it's not them, it's me. I love witty, clever interaction with intelligent, well educated people. In fact, that is why my wife wanted to marry me, because I make her and her friends laugh. You seem to be saying that any spouse, should be willing to have an intimate 2 week vacation with ANYONE, under any circumstances. Is that correct?
I'm super introvert. I love my time alone. I crave time alone.

My husband knows this and he RESPECTS this. If your wife is threatening divorce or an affair because you are being you, then you have a bigger problem in your marriage than this trip.

I would love to have a 2 week vacation right now, but I won't drag my husband if he doesn't want to. I go back home for 1,2,3,4 weeks at a time, my husband can join me for a week and he can go back. No big deal. It's my vacation after all. He can plan his own vacations with his buddies. No big deal. This is because we have no issues going on. We have this freedom of traveling going on and it works for us. It's obvious you don't have the same point of view.

I don't think the issue here is the trip. What else is going on in your relationship?

·
Registered
5,350 Posts
That is exactly what I want to know. When she gets angry, she says things I know she does not mean, but they still hurt. She threatened divorce and even claimed she had an 'affair' arranged and would act on it. I told her if she really felt that way the marriage was already over. Yes, like many people I am more introverted than others. I like to write, to learn, to explore new ideas. I take vacations alone and make new friends. I love it. I just don't like being controlled and being stuck with people who are more like clients than friends. (I had a successful 40 year professional career before retiring). I prefer having a few very close friends, to having many superficial ones.

In fairness to my wife, most of my relatives and friends think she is a 'saint' for putting up with me. :) I agree. She is generous to fault. I love her. I never mind in the least when she goes out with friends. I just don't want them living with me.
well she’s no saint. And angry words or not, the underlined statement—— not even my ****ty ex would have thought of saying something that outrageous.
She had an affair set up? lol, I’d tend to want to help her continue that as a single woman.

·
Registered
15,748 Posts
:D
The threat was when I said I was moving to another hotel. I knew, on some level, she didn't mean it, but....
This is the first time in 20 years she ever made a threat like that. She was desperate to control me and lost her temper. I get it. We have 'fights' all the time and make up the next day. I'm afraid we both know we are stuck with each other and 99% of the time life is great with her. This is the first time in my life I've put a question like this to a marriage forum.
Threatening to have sex with another man, because she can't make you be around the people she wants on vacation, is pretty ill.

Unless you are living in a romantic comedy and she said it in a tone that couldn't be taken seriously.

I would have gone home and had papers drawn up, but then I don't really have a good sense of humor about threatening infidelity.

Did she say it in front of witnesses or just to you?

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
I think when she set this up originally she knew she was going to invite her friends...at this point is when the negotiations should have commenced...you both should have figured out how the living arrangement, meals and entertainment would would work out, to ensure that your needs were met as much as her needs. and if anyone does any sudden changes to the set agreement without the other one knowing about it then that spouse has the right to do what you did.

question what happen when you got back home?

·
Registered
5,350 Posts
Planning a whole vacation and ignoring input from you and expecting you to bow to her every wish and make her dream vacation yours as well is wrong, selfish, and ended in predictable disaster. It wouldn’t have been wrong until you voiced your opinion and was ignored.
Her not wanting done alone time just you and her is odd as well.

1 - 20 of 109 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.