Talk About Marriage banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Divorced almost 3 yrs now and had my vasectomy last week Friday. I have to say I feel grrrreat! Interestingly the hardest part was not feeling anything but suddenly smelling burning flesh and seeing smoke in the operating room while "Dr. Kutzyernutzov" was snipping my lines.

I do have to say I lost a few potential girlfriends, which I'm totally ok with. I don't know why some people make you feel like you're comitting genocide by having a vasectomy. Hello I already have 2 amazing kids (boy and girl) and I'm no longer looking for more. Besides I don't see myself changing diapers when I'm in late 30's or 40's. Also kids are expensive.

This hombre is happy!! Anyone got a vasectomy recently?

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
I had mine almost a year ago now, at the tail end of my marriage. When we split 3 months later I was rather upset but now I'm glad I had it done.

I also have 2 kids and cannot see myself raising another of my own in the future. I'm okay with meeting someone else who has children ... but no more baby making.

My procedure went well, although the doctor told me to sit on ice for a week, I of course was the one getting the kids from school. Lol.

·
Administrator
44,529 Posts
Divorced almost 3 yrs now and had my vasectomy last week Friday. I have to say I feel grrrreat! Interestingly the hardest part was not feeling anyting but suddenly smelling burning flesh and seeing smoke in the operating room why "Dr. Kutzyernutzov" was snipping my lines.

I do have to say I lost a few potential girlfriends, which I'm totally ok with. I don't know why some people make you feel like you're comitting genocide by having a vasectomy. Hello I already have 2 amazing kids (boy and girl) and I'm no longer looking for more. Besides I don't see myself changing diapers when I'm in late 30's or 40's. Also kids re expensive.

The lost girlfriends are probably because those women were looking for a man/husband to have a family with. They want their own children. You cannot provide this to any woman now. So women who opt to date you will be the ones who do not want any (or any more) children.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had mine almost a year ago now, at the tail end of my marriage. When we split 3 months later I was rather upset but now I'm glad I had it done.

I also have 2 kids and cannot see myself raising another of my own in the future. I'm okay with meeting someone else who has children ... but no more baby making.

My procedure went well, although the doctor told me to sit on ice for a week, I of course was the one getting the kids from school. Lol.
YUP! Friday was my turn to ge the kids too! After my vasectomy I popped pain killers, went grocery shopping, picked up both kids (separate schools) brought them home, made them dinner, gave them baths, read them bedtime stories and put them to bed. THEN I iced my nuts! All the time Ex texting asking how my procedure went?.....

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The lost girlfriends are probably because those women were looking for a man/husband to have a family with. They want their own children. You cannot provide this to any woman now. So women who opt to date you will be the ones who do not want any (or any more) children.
Which I'm totally fine with. I just think the motivation to be in a relationship with a person should not be procreation or filling a matrimonal role. It should be because you genuinely want to be with the person.
People like that make women look like opportunists who see men as a check/meal ticket and sperm donor.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Thanks! Rather shoot blanks than a nuke that will require an IMF loan to keep up payments lol.
I'm with you on that, brother. Don't worry about the few gf's who ran off. I'm sure that many more women will love the fact that you've taken care of your own business.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Which I'm totally fine with. I just think the motivation to be in a relationship with a person should not be procreation or filling a matrimonal role. It should be because you genuinely want to be with the person.
People like that make women look like opportunists who see men as a check/meal ticket and sperm donor.
Congrats on your successful surgery!
Happy humping! (Too much?)

I wouldn't judge those women too harshly. The desire to procreate is very strong in some to the degree that a vasectomy or not wanting children would be a deal breaker even if most other aspects of the relationship are copacetic. In the same vein, a prospective wanting children would be a deal breaker for me. I just can't give that to anyone else and I'm not willing to risk future resentments no matter how well we clicked in other ways.

You did save everyone, including yourself, some frustration or even possible heartbreak, so that's another bonus.

·
Registered
9,668 Posts
Divorced almost 3 yrs now and had my vasectomy last week Friday. I have to say I feel grrrreat! Interestingly the hardest part was not feeling anything but suddenly smelling burning flesh and seeing smoke in the operating room while "Dr. Kutzyernutzov" was snipping my lines.

I do have to say I lost a few potential girlfriends, which I'm totally ok with. I don't know why some people make you feel like you're comitting genocide by having a vasectomy. Hello I already have 2 amazing kids (boy and girl) and I'm no longer looking for more. Besides I don't see myself changing diapers when I'm in late 30's or 40's. Also kids are expensive.

Certainly your choice and a big one. If I was your friend I would have advised against it. There is a good chance you will regret doing this down the road.

The thing is you may find a woman and then decide you want to have a child with her.

But I hope this works out for you. Because ... it's done and it has to.

I got a vasectomy when I was 26. I have since regretted it. But that is me.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Certainly your choice and a big one. If I was your firend I would have advised against it. There is a good chance you will regret doing this down the road.

The thing is you may find a woman and then decide you want to have a child with her.

When X and I were making the decision to have mine done, the same concern came up... What if we later decided we wanted to have more kids?

In the end, we decided that were plenty enough kids out there already who didn't have parents. If we ever got to the point where we wanted more children to love and raise, then we can always adopt.

I still hold that opinion... I don't need to make more children to teach them and raise them and care for them as my own.

·
Registered
9,668 Posts
When X and I were making the decision to have mine done, the same concern came up... What if we later decided we wanted to have more kids?

In the end, we decided that were plenty enough kids out there already who didn't have parents. If we ever got to the point where we wanted more children to love and raise, then we can always adopt.

I still hold that opinion... I don't need to make more children to teach them and raise them and care for them as my own.
Oh, very nice of course. But you lose the option of having one that is biologically yours. I thought the same way a long time ago. I am just saying I changed my mind. Many do.

Most people also never consider that down the road they would be with a different person. Not my case but this happens a lot.

It is just often a bigger step than many realize.

·
Registered
9,668 Posts
Did your dr try to talk you out of it?
I don't recall. Long time ago. I just know at least for me it was not really thought through. And I am not critisizing anypne for making this choice. I am just offering up that there are those who later regretted making this decision in their 20s. I have come a long way since I was 26. I had been married right at three years then. I was totally clueless back then about being a parent. I had a step daughter and a daughter. Plenty for right then. Actually more than I was ready to handle. But I did not have the benefit of lifes experience to know how I would ultimately feel about children. I very much viewed my step daughter as my own as far as being her father. However as I have gotten older, I do regret I did not have at least another of my own biological children. I think this would be especially important to someone who has been divorced. Indeed having a vasectomy might seem like a great way to be a bachelor and I could undertand ones views of relationships changing. But I can also see that changing yet again.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Certainly your choice and a big one. If I was your friend I would have advised against it. There is a good chance you will regret doing this down the road.

Thanks! The difference between us though is that you did it at 26 more than likely without having much life experience. I did it at 34 haven been married with two kids and divorced (the divorce of which cost me half a million bucks). So no, no regrets now and none in the future :).

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.